Thomas Singh

In+out and copy to the composer window in DaVinci Resolve

Coming from an Avid Mediacomposer background I'm used to do a selection on the timeline and click alt+c to copy the selection into the composer window (left source window) to re-use the selected part a different place on the timeline. Is this possible in DaVinci Resolve?

Edited by Thomas Singh

If you mark In+Out on the Timeline then hit Control+C that will copy the In+Out and then go to a time later on the Timeline hit Control+V that should paste all the clip in-between the In+Out.

Also you can select any clip or multiple clips on the timeline and paste at different part of the timeline to be re-used

Hi Az!

I know I can paste the selection with Copy+V but the point with the Avid workflow is that you can modify the selection (make it shorter etc) in the composer window before inserting again.  With this workflow you can also make a selection on the timeline prior to pasting it down again to only use parts of what you have saved in the composer window. Hopefully the developers look to common editing workflows used in the other major applications so that it will be easier to jump ship.

Do you know if it's possible to paste the copied clips on different tracks than they were copied from originally? I have tried to copy a selection from v1 and mark v2 but it still will be pasted on v1.

9 minutes ago, Thomas Singh said:

Do you know if it's possible to paste the copied clips on different tracks than they were copied from originally? I have tried to copy a selection from v1 and mark v2 but it still will be pasted on v1.

Yes, you need to disable Video Track V1 Icon that has ''greater than or less than'' see photo attached

Capture.JPG

15 minutes ago, Thomas Singh said:

I know I can paste the selection with Copy+V but the point with the Avid workflow is that you can modify the selection (make it shorter etc) in the composer window before inserting again.  With this workflow you can also make a selection on the timeline prior to pasting it down again to only use parts of what you have saved in the composer window. Hopefully the developers look to common editing workflows used in the other major applications so that it will be easier to jump ship.

As for this you can use the In+Out to paste less clips then you have copied.

AvidDS has a good way of use to do this and I mentioned to the Resolve developer couple of years ago but they haven't really implemented something as good as AvidDS