Marvin Nuecklaus

Workflow question - coming from AE

Hey there,

just finished the Fusion Fundamentals class. 

I worked in After Effects on a semi professional level before so, the workflow is sort of implemented in my brain and now I'm trying to wrap my head around Fusion.

The question I have is how Fusion's workflow is in comparison to After Effects specifically when it comes to multiple clips in form of a timeline?

In AE, when doing a GFX sequence, I would create a composition with x-amount of frames and import my graphics or clips within that composition which basically interacts as a timeline. That way I can transition those graphics easily, manipulate timing, and so on.

In Fusion, it seems way more of a clip by clip approach where you just bring in a clip from your timeline one by one. But what if you have complex GFX sequences in which they build on another? I understand you can add a loader or a 2nd, 3rd, ... media in, but how would you tell Fusion that that loader or that media in should only show up after frame X? 

I hope this makes any sense as I'm trying to figure out how to apply my AE workflow to fusion if even possible.

Cheers, Marvin!

12 hours ago, Marvin Nuecklaus said:

on's workflow is in comparison to After Effects specifically when it comes to multiple clips in form of a timeline?

In AE, when doing a GFX sequence, I would create a composition with x-amount of frames and import my graphics or clips within that composition which basically interacts as a timeline. That way I can transition those graphics easily, manipulate timing, and so on.

In Fusion, it seems way more of a clip by clip approach where you just bring in a clip from your timeline one by one. But what if you have complex GFX sequences in which they build on another? I understand you can add a loader or a 2nd, 3rd, ... media in, but how would you tell Fusion that that loader or that media in should only show up after frame X? 

If you are using Resolve, you can arrange  and stack clips on the timeline. Clips can be videos, images or different Fusion comps.

If you are using the standalone version of Fusion, then, yes, it doesn't really have the same flexibility as After Effects in terms of sliding layers back and forth in time. That said, you can change the Loader's In and Out frames, plus add hold frames at the start of end.

@Lee Lanier Thank you for your prompt answer.

I guess to simplify my question, while you're technically able to edit in AE and approach a lot of sequence composition work as such, does Fusion within Resolve allow you the same thing?

F.e. if I load in multiple clips as media in, can I adjust the timing of those clips or have them overlap to add a transition as simple as a cross dissolve or would I need to have these clips overlap in the edit page, load them into fusion individually, animate transparency for clip 1 on the tale end and on clip 2 at the beginning while really only seeing the results in the edit page as only one clip at a time is being loaded in? 

11 hours ago, Marvin Nuecklaus said:

@Lee Lanier Thank you for your prompt answer.

I guess to simplify my question, while you're technically able to edit in AE and approach a lot of sequence composition work as such, does Fusion within Resolve allow you the same thing?

You can combine clips and animate their opacity in Fusion. You can combine clips in pairs with a Merge tool and adjust the FG input's opacity by animating the Blend parameter. However, for general editing, where you arrange, overlap, and add transitions to clips, I would use the Edit tab. Fusion will build a separate comp for each clip within the Edit/Timeline tab.