Edgar Reyna

Workflow for my first feature

What you want to consider, before you start, is your viewing environment and the display your using.
Let's suppose you want to grade for a SDR delivery.
For theathers normally they would be using a projector working with P3-DCI, so this would be your first thing to checkout on your monitor.
Then, I would also setup the timeline colorpace in P3, because its gamut is bigger that rec709 (for streaming) and same the output.

When you're done grading for the theaters delivery, you can then switch all you viewing environment and your monitor colorspace back to rec709 and check out your grade for streaming.

I would consider working with ACES for that matter and have the flexibility to swith between different odt's without major problems.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, Stefano Zordan said:

I would consider working with ACES for that matter and have the flexibility to swith between different odt's without major problems

So lets say you are working on a monitor that isn't really optimized for P3 (a home monitor which is good but no flanders scientific) and you were working in an ACES color space and can preview sRGB and rec709 on your monitor well, would it be very difficult to transform that grade for P3? I know this is the reverse of what an ideal set up would be but... I think more of us are likely to go that route as many don't have access (or enough full time access) to that calibre grading suite.

5 hours ago, Shawn Convey said:

So lets say you are working on a monitor that isn't really optimized for P3 (a home monitor which is good but no flanders scientific) and you were working in an ACES color space and can preview sRGB and rec709 on your monitor well, would it be very difficult to transform that grade for P3? I know this is the reverse of what an ideal set up would be but... I think more of us are likely to go that route as many don't have access (or enough full time access) to that calibre grading suite.

Yea you're  right, to have the possibility to do this in reverse would be ideal. And this is what ACES could give us in theory.
Practically, it's advisable to check the grade anyway after changing colorspace, especially going from a smaller gamut to a bigger one. To grade for REC709 and then to switch to REC2020 will be however not advisable (or better you would have definitely to tweak the grade afterwards).

Edited by Stefano Zordan