Jeffrey Yaworski

LUT Sequence in DaVinci Resolve 12.5

Hi there,

So I have a question about the sequencing of LUTs in DaVinci Resolve version 12.5.

If I have an "Input LUT" in the Project Settings, does that affect the film footage BEFORE or AFTER the LUT applied by right-clicking on a film clip in the "media/color page"??

I want to grade in P3 and I am converting clips from Rec709->P3 in the "Project Settings" Input LUT. 

But for the SLog clips (couldn't find a Slog to P3 LUT), I went into the Media page and added a LUT to convert from SLog to Rec709 just for those clips. Do they then become the "Input LUT" after the conversion to Rec709?? 

Am I seeing this the right way? The footage looks quite "good" on the monitor, but I just don't want to be "twisting" the signal, so to speak, before I get it to the grading step.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeffrey Yaworski 

It's the direct application of the official transfer functions and 3x3 matrix colour space transforms, as opposed to those transforms being first applied to a LUT and then applied via interpolation. It's a clean, non-destructive, and fully reversible process. It's not a question of trust, it's the only truly indisputable scientific certainty i.e. math. 

• Like 1