Jeffrey Yaworski

Documentary with Mixed Format

Hi there guys,

Brand new to the forum today.

Have a quick question about ACES. I have been working in Post-Production for a few years, but ACES is somewhat new to me.

I am grading a Documentary film that is a mix of Sony FS5, Sony FS7, and masses of Archive footage from different sources being delivered in Rec709. The Doc is being graded in P3 in the cinema. Also there will be some exchange of shots with the VFX house. 

Question: Is there anything that speaks against using an ACES workflow in a situation like this. Not many of my colleagues have used ACES before so if I get in a tight spot, there wouldn't really be anyone who could give me advice. Can anyone see any potential problems?

Also: In my understanding, after doing a Cinema grade in P3, to then move over to the HD Mastering, I would just need to swap out the ODT, and do some minor corrections? Am I correct in that? Does the change of ODT also take the gamma change into account?

Thanks for any help,

Jeffrey

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Only thing that i would think of and test out is how well those Sony cameras transform to ACES in Resolve.
Working with rec scans i see no issue as you can manually say in media pool with ACES transform that they are REC and should work fine. I just had VFX job where all things did come back as rec and it worked good like this in ACEScc timeline.

If you test all aspects before i would say you will not have problems. If you just jump in it might kick back as some have had it.
I started my first "testing" with feature and it went well but other have crashed and burned with 30 sec spots.
Main thing is to understand ACES concept in detail to be more safe.

As of ODT that should be the case as ACES is universal colourspace in a way and ODT should make it appropriate to that display device you have there after it either P3 device or REC device. So by my understanding it should work like this.

Does this give you any help?

Hey Margus,

Wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I dont have alot of time to test before the Clients arrive, so I think my ACES adventure will have to wait for a project, where there is a bit more time to prepare, and test.

But like I said thanks so much for your tips, and knowledge.

Until next time, 

Jeffrey

• Like 1