Orash Rahnema

Eizo Calibration with Lightspace

Hi everyone!
I need your help as I am sure I am doing many things wrong.

I am trying to figure out how to calibrate my eizo CG246 with lightspace.

I'm trying to save some money so I want to push this display as long as I can before changing it.

I have followed Lightspace guides (as good as I could understand), mixinglight lightspace guide and @Margus Voll tutorial
http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/...on-workflow-with-lightspace-and-resolve.5001/

To make a long story short I have done a quick profile and the values looked very strange.
So I have trying calibrating using Margus tutorial with the 9000+ patches, the dialog box said I hit 98% of the target, then I've uploaded the lut and re-profile it.

This is the result I got and to me it doesn't look too good. (as far as I understood from the various guides and tutorials)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpmsretg2rzqupi/EIZO Profile 28-05-2017-Post.pdf?dl=0

What I don't get is, first what I have done wrong, then, I'm currently using this display on many jobs and I didn't have problems with it, if it was so off I believe i would have notice it.

Can anyone help me out with it?

cheers,
Orash

• Like 1

Have you tried 1000 and 4000 patches for testing?

I have had similar issues with Delta lately as i was testing one monitor for a supplier.
1000 patch and 4000 patch as i remember i did not have such issues but 9000 looked rather similar.

I'm not sure yet why this happened but i have some ideas. (win power management and some other things)
Will try to investigate in near future. Monitor by itself should hold up nicely.

• Like 3

Hi Margus!

I was hoping you were coming to rescue :)

I will definitely try 1000 and 4000 patches

In the main time i wanted to ask, could that be an issue with data or video level? maybe I have set davinci project wrong.

I have done a pre- calibration with colornavigator nx but the only thing I set there was colorspace, gamma and max luminance (i set it to 110 nits) and if i remember correctly i have set my project to data level.

The other thing is in the option, I saw in your tutorial that you have some kind of matrix set under the probe section, and somewhere i read that in order to work a backlight level matrix has to be set.

I didn't set any of those as I have no idea where to find them.

Last thing is, I have set a gamma of 2.2. In the manual it says that a higher gamma is needed to avoid clipping, does that mean that if i want a 2.2 gamma I have to set it to 2.1 or to 2.3? in my mind a higher gamma means a lower value, but maybe is the value that is intended.

Anyway, i will try the patch thing and if you have some answer I appreciate it! :)

thanks,

Orash

• Like 2

I've had quite varying results in the pasts depending on the size of patches, generally I let it run overnight and do a full 4000 or 9000 patch run. I have always stumbled across issues though with one of the monitors (EIZO CX271 that does not have built-in support for a 3D LUT). Re-profiling it to REC709 just blows it off the charts in LS and is deemed very inaccurate. A bit unsure here how to re-profiling it correctly without the ability to store the 3D LUT in the chain. Can't be that loading the 3D LUT into LS prior to profiling would solve this (as the issue mentioned above).

Looking forward to hear your results Orash.

• Like 1

This one was running LS on the same computer as Resolve (recieving the patches) and the CX271 wired through a Blackmagic I/O. Initial precalibration worked fine with expected results, so did LUT creation (Rec709, Gamma 2.4).

But post-calibration is a pain to verify, what possible steps can be taken here? Any and all suggestions are welcome here. (I know that the CX271 is not a listed monitor on either LIghtspace’s site or here but we still use it for some tasks.)

• Like 2