Prateek Srivastava

Resolve 10 bit export to avoid banding.

You can, but in 99% Youtube will convert it to an 8 bit h264 again and stream that, instead of your 10 bit source.
Mainly because browsers to my knowledge are not able to decode 10 bit h264.
Next, most monitors that Youtube is being watched on are 8 bit panels anyways.
However, many of them have good dithering functionality, taking care of any banding.
Given that, you can just export as 8 bit right from the start.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mazze said:

You can, but in 99% Youtube will convert it to an 8 bit h264 again and stream that, instead of your 10 bit source.
Mainly because browsers to my knowledge are not able to decode 10 bit h264.
Next, most monitors that Youtube is being watched on are 8 bit panels anyways.
However, many of them have good dithering functionality, taking care of any banding.
Given that, you can just export as 8 bit right from the start.

Yeah  I understand this. 

But I wanted to know how to export in 10 bit, there's no such option in h.264/5 to render in 10bit.

Could you please elaborate the process? 

Don't think H264 supports 10-bit, but in H265 change the profile from Main to  Main 10. But as suggested unless you are doing an HDR file, youtube will transcode that 10-bit H265 into 8-bit Vp9 and H264.

Edited by Stef Colosi

H264 does support 10 bit (in normal MP4s, but also in MXF - XAVC, XF-AVC and AVC-I are basically 10 bit H264 flavors).

However, not all players can decode it. Also not sure whether Resolve allows to render 10 bit h264.

In any case - as Stef mentioned, it might be a moot point anyways, since Youtube will convert it back to 8 bit.

On 6/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, Mazze said:

H264 does support 10 bit (in normal MP4s, but also in MXF - XAVC, XF-AVC and AVC-I are basically 10 bit H264 flavors).

However, not all players can decode it. Also not sure whether Resolve allows to render 10 bit h264.

In any case - as Stef mentioned, it might be a moot point anyways, since Youtube will convert it back to 8 bit.

Okay got it!,but it would sill be viable for vimeo though?