KB Burnfield

Color Calibration Devices - Laptops And Screens

I thought I'd bring this up since I'm about to invest in a X-Rite i1Display Pro to calibrate my monitors but also my MacBook Pro screen.

One review I read said that it doesn't do well with even high end laptop screens. Has anyone had that experience?

Any feedback on the X-Rite i1Display Pro versus another calibration device?

thanks!

Personally not a fan of X - Rite - they lock their products so you can't use it with other calibration software. If you are going to purchase one, get it from Light Illusion or whatever software you will use to calibrate you monitors.

X Rite software itself to be next to useless.

Cheers

On 6/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, KB Burnfield said:

I thought I'd bring this up since I'm about to invest in a X-Rite i1Display Pro to calibrate my monitors but also my MacBook Pro screen.

One review I read said that it doesn't do well with even high end laptop screens. Has anyone had that experience?

Any feedback on the X-Rite i1Display Pro versus another calibration device?

thanks!

I found the i1 Display pro with the xrite software when set correctly got my GUI monitor (just South Korean rehoused apple display) very very close to my Flanders Scientific Oled cm250.  It also worked well with a retina MacBook Pro. However, I wouldn’t use these for colour critical work though for client review or good-enough-to-get-by-in-a-pinch grading it’s fine. 

8 minutes ago, KB Burnfield said:

Is there a mid price calibration unit you'd recommend instead of the x-rite ?

What do you want the calibration for? What sort of work are you doing?  A step up would be the i1 pro with LightSpace Lte but you would need an Sdi monitor I believe though it may do icc profiles. 

1 minute ago, KB Burnfield said:

I'm starting to do more color work for clients and myself. Would like to make sure my laptop and monitors are calibrated

Sure but what sort of work? Corporate? Short films, low budget branded content, documentary etc? 

1 hour ago, KB Burnfield said:

Corporate & online content

I would suggest that an i1 display pro with the bundled i1 software calibrated to REC709 2.4 will be more than sufficient for the work you intend to do. You need to choose 'advanced workflows' in the i1 software, then choose the 709 preset and set luminance to 100cd/m2, and gamma to 2.4. Then grade in a darkened environment ideally with a bias light behind the monitor. If you start earning more money from grading and want to go a step up from this i'd suggest a blackmagic mini monitor for the SDI connection and one of the LCD Flanders Scientific monitors eg the AM210  / BM240 or second hand OLED CM250. All of these monitors come calibrated with a 3D lut, they then offer free calibration for the life of the monitor. 

• Like 1