Bruno Mansi

New v14 features

On 5/4/2017 at 4:37 PM, Thomas Singh said:

I've worked with DS since the first Avid DV versions back in 2003 and it's an amazing piece of software. I can only imagine where it would have been today if someone else had the responsibility of the developing and marketing. I'm a little bit pissed off as I have been very loyal to Avid all these years, but their lack of development is almost non-exising, they only talk about PhaseFind and ScriptSync, features most people don't use. The thing with them is that they just develop their product until it works, and that's it. Look at the interface, look at their color correction and title tools. That is not good enough today, and that is one of the reasons DS died. I think that will be the reason Avid dies as well. That said, I hate that I need to start learning Premiere or the BMD editor when it gets good enough. I know the day will come.

you mean the first Avid DS versions? that was in 2000/2001. Not Nitris. just to make sure we're on the same page.
The color corrector was way better in DS, even though it was the same as Symphony. there was no Jumpy bumpy in DS, like Symphony.
And, you could composite with color..so there was unlimited things you could do.. not like this goofy Step In/Out stuff Avid MC and Symph have held onto for so long..
Seriously, still using Hi-Cons and Matte fills, and can't properly read and display an Alpha Channel, what year is it?

On 5/3/2017 at 5:08 AM, Bruno Mansi said:

I'm not sure what you think I said that the Prime Focus compositors would disagree with.

You said Serious Compositors.
some of the best are Fusion Compositors by choice.

7 hours ago, Marc Fisher said:

you mean the first Avid DS versions? that was in 2000/2001. Not Nitris. just to make sure we're on the same page.
The color corrector was way better in DS, even though it was the same as Symphony. there was no Jumpy bumpy in DS, like Symphony.
And, you could composite with color..so there was unlimited things you could do.. not like this goofy Step In/Out stuff Avid MC and Symph have held onto for so long..
Seriously, still using Hi-Cons and Matte fills, and can't properly read and display an Alpha Channel, what year is it?

Nope, I started using DS when the first Avid DV versions were introduced. I'm suprised that I'm still with Avid but I know it inside our after all these years and I'm probably to lazy to start learning anything else. 

Edited by Thomas Singh
10 hours ago, Thomas Singh said:

Nope, I started using DS when the first Avid DV versions were introduced. I'm suprised that I'm still with Avid but I know it inside our after all these years and I'm probably to lazy to start learning anything else. 

Sorry Thomas, your post is a it confusing, or maybe I'm not awake..
You say DS, but then reference Avid DV. And if you are still using DS, then Bravo sir. Thats awesome. I wish more shops in Post would've found there way to it, and stuck with it. But most believed in Avid's marketing and sales pitches. 

Avid DS. (which they bought from Softimage) and could do anything and everything all the way up to 8k. was EOL in 09. No longer available.

DS84_Interface.jpg

Avid Symphony. the "big" brother to Composer, really only difference was the color corrector and the "universal" output.

Avid-Media-Composer-screenshotif-needed.

Avid Media Composer. the editing worlds bane of existence. Premiered in the early 90's after Avid killed Matador and a few other products. Avid DV is a derivative of this. As was Newscutter and Avid Free.

(Avid Film Composer). Disappeared sometime in the late 90's.

• Like 1

Nope, I started using DS when the first Avid DV versions were introduced.

That means:

When Avid DV came (2002-2004?) I also started to use Avid DS. We were fully equipped with everything Avid had to offer. I don't use DS today, but at that time I felt I had enough tools in my pocket (my DS) to fight world wars. And win.