Nicolas Hanson

Force same size on player window in the edit module of DaVinci Resolve

Are there any "fit to screen" or anything that forces the two player windows on the editing module in DaVinci Resolve to stay the same? I'm comparing the main films with the offline reference and it's a bit annoying to adjust the player windows on each side to stay the same all the time. Especially when switching between different aspect ratios for a social media delivery.

I don't know of any way of doing this.

I find the side-by-side method of comparing a reference to the master timeline works OK if you're checking for incorrect shots, but not that useful to check for correct resizing or motion effects.

In these instances, I prefer to bring in the offline reference as a normal clip, place it (in sync) on a layer above and then switch its composite mode to Difference. Now as you scroll through, you should see near-to-perfect black if the shots are identical (assuming you've done no preliminary grade or colour transform), but where there are differences in size/position, these will be instantly visible.

Forgive me if you already know this technique and I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

Thank you Bruno, yeah that's what I usually do. I just prefer to scroll through and check the offline reference version this way, and even though it doesn't matte much they the size of the players are different it's quite annoying.