Marvin Nuecklaus

Replace Clip in timeline while keeping attributes intact

Hey everyone,

I'm transitioning from Premiere and there's one key function I would always use which is holding the alt/option key and dragging and dropping a clip from my media pool on a clip or multiple pre selected clips in order to simply replace them. That way, all effects and attributes stay intact.

I understand Resolves version is to select a clip from the media pool, select a clip in the timeline that I would like to replace and choose Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip.

This however is greyed out when selecting multiple clips. I'm looking for a similar functionality as I had in Premiere that works for a single AND multiple clips.

To give you a scenario for clarification why this is important:

I received a new export from the VFX house which is a sequence that includes edits. The timecode is identical. Now, I would like to replace all clips in my timeline with that new Export file. However, I don't want to relink to the new file, as I need to keep the older version intact for reference. 

Bring the updated shots into a new bin.

Then select the shots in the timeline, right click and check from the context menu that "conform lock" is not enabled for the shots.

Then Use the "reconform from bin" feature to relink a whole timeline or just the selected shots to the new shots in the media pool. You can access it by right-clicking the timeline in the media pool.

You're the man! Thank you Jussi.

When reconform from bin that contains the same clips (let's say with updated VFX but runtime is identical) and I want to match the same in and out points of the clips in the timeline, would I need to manually set the in point of each clip in that bin that I'm trying to reconform?