Margus Voll

BL Avid and back

Hi.

I'm little bit confused about the "lense" logic over AAF back to Avid.
Lets say we work on feature and have split everything up in reels.

Now if i pass on AAF to editor and director to lay looks on reel and they change anything in edits say drop some shots or move its timing will
it reflect still on the timeline as looks and if shot worked on before that shot get indicated somehow as "not done".

Another bit is reconform in BL after such edit change to adjust reels.
Would it mean reconforming reel versions and copy paste looks done either by automation or manually?

Trying to sort workflow side in my head around it a bit better.

Hi Margus,

the AAF workflow is better suited for Online workflows and very popular in television:

1. edit with full quality footage in AvidMC
  2. export AAF (and consolidated media) from Avid
  3. conform AAF in Baselight (Baselight has access to Avid MediaFiles or uses consolidated folder)
  4. grade in Baselight, but no need to rebuild any effects
  5. export AAF with injected grades from BL
  6. load AAF back into Avid: The timeline is reassembled with all effects and graded shots
  7. Export final delivery from Avid

In your scenario the lens workflow makes more sense. There you will provide a folder with BLG files to apply the grades in Avid. The BLG files have no problems if the edit changes, because the grades are applied based on metadata. If there is no grade available for a shot, there editor might need to apply a BLG file manually on a shot.

Applying grades to a different edit in Baselight works automatically. You have a lot of options how the grades should be transferred in the 'Multi-Paste' tool.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 2