Hello, I would like to know what you think about using ACES?

I recently started coloring a TV series and Post House decided to use ACES. But I have some doubts about the proper functioning and necessity of it for this project. My monitoring is 10 bits, the material is F55 Raw, but quite underexposed and grainy, I need to have time to do some testing with the ACES color space and the standard REC709.

Edited by Sjors Krebbeks
Moved to a more fitting forum.
  • Like 2

I have no experience with F55 as we do not have any of those here.

Monitoring is not that important with ACES but you just have to have proper output transform to make it all "fit" in colors to your screen. That side i would say is covered. Now getting raw to common workflow color space seems like a good idea specially if there is VFX and other tasks involved.

Under exposed in some cases need tiny bit different approach as you have to push it up a bit in ACES but i would say the grain is the same in REC.

Getting cleaner material out of any footage seems much faster to me with ACES.

Also whites and blacks do not clip hard like they do in REC so you have really creamy falloff.

If you have any specific questions i can try to answer them as as i can by my small experience or direct you to some place.

Thanks Margus and Thomas!

The problem with F55 in this job who I working is underexposure in electronic media, it's really complicated. The signal-to-noise ratio is sacrificed. When the aesthetic demands it, it is better to put the noise later. The bit depth does not matter much because the damage comes from the sensor, which when receiving low light sends the noise (sensors are analog devices correct!). I do not have much to do. I'm going to abuse Noise Reduction.

That's my opinion after studying about the F55 and doing some testing.
The ACES dont affect in this case, the problem is a record underexposure...

9 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

So dop was making look in camera so to say ?

This is bad in most cases.

Magnus, I did not get a chance to talk to the DoF.
But if he tried to make this super dark look on the camera, he needs to check if he's in the right profession, he go for a wrong way.