Andu Radu

storage for Resolve Studio on Mac Pro trashcan

hei guys

i have a question for all of you Resolve users: what type of storage do you use for Resolve running on a Mac Pro trashcan?

when i was using Lustre i had a 24 bay Rorke Aurora with a 8 Gbit fibre channel. i tried to move it on the Resolve system but the guys from Rorke said they don't have a workflow / support for the new systems on trashcans.

now i'm using a Synology NAS but i'm not satisfied with it mainly because of the speed. anything above 2k is not being played in real time.

so, what are you using?

thanks in advance.

cheers

On 3/23/2017 at 9:43 PM, Andu Radu said:

hei guys

i have a question for all of you Resolve users: what type of storage do you use for Resolve running on a Mac Pro trashcan?

when i was using Lustre i had a 24 bay Rorke Aurora with a 8 Gbit fibre channel. i tried to move it on the Resolve system but the guys from Rorke said they don't have a workflow / support for the new systems on trashcans.

now i'm using a Synology NAS but i'm not satisfied with it mainly because of the speed. anything above 2k is not being played in real time.

so, what are you using?

thanks in advance.

cheers

Promise Pegasus2 R8 24TB

thank you all so much for the anwers. they were really helpful.

for now, i'm doing some tests to see if i can make one myself with top components and compare the price with the ones you gave me.

i'll let you know the results. 

• Like 1

I'm using an 8-bay G-Speed Studio XL in RAID5, and it's doing almost 800MBps with Thunderbolt 2, which is more than fast enough for 4K. It's rare I get any performance issues from the drive. The Trashcan has its own problems. 

• Like 1