Yerlan Tanayev

5.1 Audio playback issue in DaVinci. C and LFE switched places.

5.1 Audio playback issue. C and LFE switched places.

Hello!

We try to playback 5.1 audio (L/R/C/LFE/Ls/Rs) from DaVinci Resolve via HDMI to receiver (Denon AVRX 1300w). Center 3rd channel is gone to LFE channel. Center and LFE switched places. To correct this in Mac Pro (Late 2013) in Audio Midi settings/Configure Speakers: I switched Center to 4 track and LFE to 3 (subwoofer). Works, but not in DaVinci Resolve. Simply I can change tracks order in DaVinci Resolve, but it is incorrect for mastering DCP. Also I checked receiver connections to Center and Subwoofer it is in right place. Works perfect with another source. What could be wrong with Decklink 4K Extreme 5.1 audio playback in DaVinci resolve?

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 10.48.56 PM.png

Edited by Yerlan Tanayev

Don't know much about surround sound in Resolve, but there are a number of different channel orders, such as SMPTE and Film.

Protools (for example) has settings in its I/O menus for setting track order, as shown below

surround track order.png

Are there not similar settings in Resolve?

That's strange. I remember playing out 5.1 few months ago in Resolve with a Decklink Mini Monitor and I got expected results, ie l/r/c/lfe/ls/rs. But that was thru SDI. Can you check your SDI audio channels on your monitor? If so you can isolate the issue better.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pepijn Klijs said:

That's strange. I remember playing out 5.1 few months ago in Resolve with a Decklink Mini Monitor and I got expected results, ie l/r/c/lfe/ls/rs. But that was thru SDI. Can you check your SDI audio channels on your monitor? If so you can isolate the issue better.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pepijn Klijs said:

Unfortunately, it's is a hardware issue. Receiver's input mapping problem. Cause some *domestic* audio amplifiers like mine =) take whatever is on channel 3 on HDMI and sends it to the sub. 
So, it’s up to the user to ensure that they have the material that is intended to be heard through the subwoofer is on channel 3 of their software. 

Solution

I need to map the channels differently on their output from Resolve. 
This can be done in the track mixer or by switching the audio on channels 3 and 4. Sounds not bad, but before render SMTPE standard file i need double check audio mapping.