Leo Michitsch

question concerning lesson 12 shot 4 Rotoscoping and paint touchup

In the tutorial Lesson 12 shot 4 Core Rotoscoping  and paint touchup -

1.) Under the Brush Controls can we rotate and/or reshape the square tool and add softness?

2.) In the later part of the tutorial, where you go from camera right eye to camera left eye, can you fill in the steps when you go off screen the 2nd time when you do the stroke control clean up?

Regards,

Leo

Sorry for the late reply...

The Rectangle tool does not provide a means to rotate the shape, or add a soft edge. If those things are required, it might be better to use a different masking process (such as  a Polygon tool).

The left eye requires the same steps as the right eye. I really just repeated the process.

Edited by Lee Lanier

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response. I am confused about your suggestion of using the Polygon tool. Can I use the polygon tool you suggest with cloning in paint? What are the exact steps to clone an image in paint using the polygon tool ?  Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks, Leo

I am working in Davinci 16. 1.2 

I am following one of your  Davinci 15 tutorials (lesson 29 and 30), in fusion I have noticed some problems and differences between Davinci 15 and 16. We can not isolate the strokes like you have in 15. Are we doing something wrong?

Also, how do you finish paint cloning part way through a clip instead of going through to the end of the clip?

Thanks,

Leo

2 hours ago, Leo Michitsch said:

I am working in Davinci 16. 1.2 

I just tested it using 16. No problems.

There are, however, differences between the Stroke brush or Multistroke brush. The Stroke brush paths can be manipulated individually, but last the entire timeline. The Multistroke brush paths only last one frame but cannot be manipulated individually.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your other responses.

What is the correct procedure for stopping and starting a paint clone within a single timeline? We have a 361 frame clip and need to do it in separate passes.

Also, please see the attached image. What is the bottom circle called and what is its function and how can it benefit our work?

Many thanks for your continued help,

Leo 

20200309_112956.jpg

Hi again Lee,

Another question for today- in using offset X and Y in apply controls we needed to look for a better source for the clone. I applied key frames to the X and Y location, each time we moved stroke control to a new key frame and location, while still adding a key frame to stroke controls. Should we also add key frames to the X and Y in applied controls, or is this mistake?  We noticed you did not do this in your Lesson 12 titled Beauty.

Thank you so much again,

Leo 

1 hour ago, Leo Michitsch said:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your other responses.

What is the correct procedure for stopping and starting a paint clone within a single timeline? We have a 361 frame clip and need to do it in separate passes.

Also, please see the attached image. What is the bottom circle called and what is its function and how can it benefit our work?

Many thanks for your continued help,

Leo 

20200309_112956.jpg

The entire stroke has its own transform.

20 minutes ago, Leo Michitsch said:

Hi again Lee,

Another question for today- in using offset X and Y in apply controls we needed to look for a better source for the clone. I applied key frames to the X and Y location, each time we moved stroke control to a new key frame and location, while still adding a key frame to stroke controls. Should we also add key frames to the X and Y in applied controls, or is this mistake?  We noticed you did not do this in your Lesson 12 titled Beauty.

Thank you so much again,

Leo 

If you want the offset to be the same distance from the stroke, you do not have to keyframe the offset.