Hello,

maybe something different and not so into colour... but how the features you work on will be finished? Is it done like in Flame or Smoke? Or is it done in the Grading-system?

Our Finishing-Tool is Baselight but there can be some problems with it, especially with Audio you can get in trouble.

I just like to hear how your experience is.

Best regards from Munich

Aljoscha

I do mine in Resolve timeline i.e. grading is there and VFX lands there also after it finishes.

If all is done i export it for delivery either with audio or without depending if it goes to DCP or any other format.

In the end it really depends on your workflow, master delivery needs and what speeds you are after.

We here finish out dcp mastering in FinalDCP.

• Like 1

Flame, Smoke, AE or any finishing tool are often used for outputting the final master because online work (VFX/Compositing etc) is the last task on the chain. If grading was the final task the master files would be rendered from Baselight og DaVinci or any of the color correctors. It's as easy as that. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums Aljoscha.

Here commercials are usually finished in Flame. (Sometimes Baselight)

For features the image is finished in Baselight. DCDM and Rec709 images are rendered there, but the marriage of picture and sound is done with Clipster.

• Like 1
On 11.2.2017 at 9:05 AM, Andy Minuth said:

For features the image is finished in Baselight. DCDM and Rec709 images are rendered there, but the marriage of picture and sound is done with Clipster.

Does Clipster retain all the image information and pay attention to color spaces etc?

On 2/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Nicolas Hanson said:

Does Clipster retain all the image information and pay attention to color spaces etc?

AFAIK there are color management tools in Clipster. But we are not using them. We are just passing through the images. For a feature for example we are rendering 12bit X'Y'Z' Tiff files for the DCDM and dpx/ProRes in Rec.709 from Baselight. 

Syncing with sound, subtitles and DCP encoding is then done with Clipster. 

• Like 2
On 11.2.2017 at 9:05 AM, Andy Minuth said:

Welcome to the forums Aljoscha.

Here commercials are usually finished in Flame. (Sometimes Baselight)

Thanks for your reply! I just want to know how others do it, because for me it is kind of risky doing it out of the Grading-timeline with all my grades in it. By the way it was nice to meet you in Munich! 

Is you application giving any risk or why you say it is risky?

I finish my features in Resolve where i grade. I have done it in two ways:

1. render out master file in EXR, DPX, Prores 4444 etc and use it as master timeline which i populate with subtitles, heads and tails and so no. From this mastering timeline i just render version that is suitable for my DCP software. Audio comes separately from audio post house. All is in sync and work wonders while doing dcp.

2. i do all the things on master grading timeline with head, tail and subtitles. For smaller simpler jobs it is ok but when i need multiple copys to make faster option 1. is faster to render many times.

To have better security and digital hygiene i export project to separate drive so i have no risk from the application like you mention.

• Like 1

For feature i always assume audio comes from audio post in perfect shape and meets the image in dcp mastering stage.

Now it seems that graphics would be good to make or put over in Fusion if you are working in Resolve. (in resolve some aliasing issues which i have to show BM)
All of course is relative to the workflow and tools you have or use. General idea is the same.

• Like 2