dermot.shane

BLE +L*a*b?

the manual points me to looks/none/advanced, and that does reveal L*a*b controls, but unless i select one of the presets the controls will not change anything..  what i really want is to have access to L*a*b without useing a preset

thoughts?

idea's on how to get to L*a*b in BLE?

• Like 2

I am not quite sure what you are driving at. But with the 'Colour-Space' operator you can convert the image to 'RLab' which is related to CIE L*a*b*. The channels will be mapped like this:

R -> red-green compononent

G -> luminance component

B -> blue-yellow component

I am using this space sometimes for special treatment. I recommend to convert back to your working space after your RLab operations. 

• Like 3

I do the same as Andy. I would create a layer and the first operator would be colorspace to rlab and then the last is rlab to working colorspace. Then put your video and film operators in between. This is particularly helpful in trimming illegal or negative values in an aces colorspace.

• Like 4
On 15/02/2017 at 11:52 AM, Anthony Raffaele said:

I do the same as Andy. I would create a layer and the first operator would be colorspace to rlab and then the last is rlab to working colorspace. Then put your video and film operators in between. This is particularly helpful in trimming illegal or negative values in an aces colorspace.

Other than the aforementioned reason, is there any particular reason\benefit for converting to RLAB?

Edited by Mark

In Resolve is do use L*a*b to grade, i've had enough seat time with client attended sessions to feel comfortable with it, and in Resolve find i can get to a decent base grade quickly withe these tools

I'm not sure the RLAB in Baselight and the L*a*b in Resolve are the same, likely the conversions are not, and the feedback is not quite the same, not better or worse, just seems to be not the same

but i'll need to test properly, or wait for v5 and Basegrade that seemingly takes some cues from L*a*b's non-linear responce that mimic's the way the eye sees colors

Edited by dermot.shane
spelling errors

Apologies to be the necroposter and restart this topic but this video gives you an idea of what you can do in LAB.

One thing that ive always wondered and not been able to do is split out the colour channels like he does in Resolve. It was something i was able to do in Mistika but i cant seem to do it on good ole BL.

You can use the Colour Matrix operator - add it between a pair of Colour Space operators so your stack looks like this:

[Colour Space (Convert to RLab)]

[Colour Matrix]

[Colour Space (Convert to Working Colour Space)]

Now you can adjust the mix of channels using the Red, Green and Blue output sliders - remember that the RLab channels map as follows:

L - green sliders

a - red sliders

b - blue sliders

You can of course add other operators between the Colour Space convert operators too.