Margus Voll

Skin separation in color and deblobing.

I'm thinking now hypothetically here and wondering how one would approach on Baselight.

I have a feature (doing it on another app still) but the problem seems very universal.
Some times actors face is not very consistent in color,  different patches and blobs and what not with light colored translucent skin that needs  fixing.

My question is if that is doable with very little steps like without masking and keying a lot?

In some simpler apps there is possibility to take some color vectors and "compress" them together to get such effect without key and mask.

Why i'm after it is purely for speed, say you have 2000 - 3000 shots and keying and masking all of them does not seem very practical.
(we don't have assistants here for that eithere)

I know, you don't want to use qualifier, but this can be done one time and saved as a preset for later use.

Select perfect skintone color (skintone line color for example) using only HUE in qualifier.
Then make the selection soft (I mean, soft selection depending on hue, not blurring).
Then change color balance (using wheels or whatever RGBcurves-like) to make selection extremely orange (actually lying on skintone line).
Then decrease saturation to match saturation of the original.
Now you killed hue variations in the selected hue range. Skin looks plastic now.
Then change Key Output Gain to 0.
Now you can decrease hue variations in the selected range by slightly adding Key Output Gain.

Just saw, you're not on Resolve

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich

I mean actually something like this:

https://prnt.sc/rdbkkg

What i mean by this is it seems more intuitive and understandable visually to me.

This current one is screen capture from Scratch where it is built in feature in Resolve i just got plug in for that.
Did not find any in BL.

The way @Andy Minuth mentioned it work well just it is not as clear visually.

Second benefit i see from vector grid or square grid is you can use it for extreme looks like some people do in lutsyou start to attack hue ranges ore violently. I have a job now where dop has made "home made" looks with vectors like this and for mimicking it its much easier and seems faster to me to go with same vector logic. Compress them clearly, ideally your hue is spread under the grid for you to see which part you compress or manipulate.

Maybe it is silly what i ask but seems like not very complex thing to do UI wise perhaps.
In Resolve it was not working very easy for me to mimic specific changes with regular curves for example.