Mark Mulcaster

Baselight with Avid ISIS Workspaces

Do any of the post houses that people work for on here pull media directly off of an Avid Isis workspace to grade directly on Baselight?

If so i was wondering what your experiences have been positive or negative? Thanks :)

Edited by Mark

Cheers Abby,

We currently have 3 Isis with multiple work spaces and we're having great success with working directly from them with Baselight.  

All except with a 4k project where by the connection between the Baselight &  Workspace is dropped.

After the loss of the connection i've been unsuccessful remounting the workspace via the isis client manager and the only way to reset the system director is by a full restart of the Node.

We're running off a 10Gb connection, but  as Baselight is new to us we're working through the problems with Filmlight Tech Support who are incredibly helpful, but i thought it would be good to ask the community to see if others have experienced any problems with connecting to Avid Isis in general :)

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

I remember we had a lot of connection issues with the old Unity system back in the days and the Avid guys were hanging around day and night with blue rings around their eyes. With the ISIS and Baselight I haven't experienced any connection issues. Most of the studios I've been working with the last years have tech guys and hot lines to the support services because they can't afford down times and clients waiting.

Please give us an update when it's up and running again.

• Like 2

if the network is unreliable, you can use input caching to only pull the media once. To do so select all stack tops, group grade and then press the little C button in the top right corner of the parameter view. Baselight will cache the input media in 16bit floating point. For quick TV turnarounds this might be overkill, but if you grade several days/weeks on one show it makes grading more stable and also reduces load on the FileServer.

• Like 2

Thought id update this incase this is useful to anyone -

With the help of the support team at Filmlight we set-up a mac gateway system that acts as the name suggests as a gateway. 

Avid work-spaces are mounted via the client manager on the mac gateway and that in turn is mounted on the Baselight Twos.
Media can then be streamed vai the 10Gb network without much drop in performance.

As Daniele suggested we cache bigger jobs at the point of conform and this also helps with UHD playback. 

• Like 1