Ron Schieffer

Puppet Pin Tool from After Effects

Hey,

I just wanted to animate some pictures and I was looking for a tool like the puppet pin tool from After Effects with which you can put "joints" in your subject and animate them.

Is there such a tool in Fusion?

I just found the grid warp tool, but that's not as precisely as the puppet tool.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lee Lanier said:

There isn't a puppet tool in Fusion, but it is possible to build your own with a bit of work. If you haven't seen  it, there is a discussion on this over here:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44435

Thank you! I did it with lots of merge and tansform nodes and some masks.

But now I got double arms in my final project. The static ones from the main subject and the moving arms which I animated. I tried to mask those static arms out, but I don't know where to put the mask or what to do to get rid of those static elements. Any idea?

And when rendering the rendered clip is super glitchy even tho it's looking right in fusion (except of the problem above).

1 hour ago, Ron Schieffer said:

Thank you! I did it with lots of merge and tansform nodes and some masks.

But now I got double arms in my final project. The static ones from the main subject and the moving arms which I animated. I tried to mask those static arms out, but I don't know where to put the mask or what to do to get rid of those static elements. Any idea?

And when rendering the rendered clip is super glitchy even tho it's looking right in fusion (except of the problem above).

Depends on what your network looks like - but you might need one branch for a static body that uses a mask to cut off the arms, and a separate branch that uses a second iteration of the body that cuts the arms off for animation. In fact, you probably want to operate each arm  separately, so that is three branches. Not sure about the glitchy part - I've never had anything render poorly that looks right in Fusion,

8 hours ago, Lee Lanier said:

Depends on what your network looks like - but you might need one branch for a static body that uses a mask to cut off the arms, and a separate branch that uses a second iteration of the body that cuts the arms off for animation. In fact, you probably want to operate each arm  separately, so that is three branches. Not sure about the glitchy part - I've never had anything render poorly that looks right in Fusion,

So here is my node tree for that:

NodeTree.thumb.jpg.103df6800b45d7347f35478bd8bb4538.jpg

I tried to incorporate the mask that is sitting free at the left side of the tree and played arround with that. But doesn't really work when I attach it to the free effect mask inputs. 

Either the arm gets cut off and you just see the static/original one or the whole subject rotates when I invert the mask.

7 hours ago, Ron Schieffer said:

Either the arm gets cut off and you just see the static/original one or the whole subject rotates when I invert the mask.

I would create a new part of the network that creates a version of the character that is cut out but has no arms or head. If possible, branch this off the MediaIn. Then merge the result of this new branch near the end of the network under the arms and head.