Francis Cade

How is he achieving this look?

Hi guys,

I am having sleepless nights not being able to figure out how to achieve this look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJ80-B98Qs&t=541s (from 12 seconds onwards, but particularly the outdoors parts around 8 minutes). 

I'm shooting with the same camera, Sony A7SII, in CINE4. Obviously he has a few separate presets set up to be able to produce a quality video every day. The jist of the grade is cinematic, but not orange and teal, in fact I'm not seeing much colour in the shadows at all.

I'm noticing lots of bloom from lights in the background, blacks are very black but the overall look doesn't seem that high contrast to me. 
Also, the image seems incredibly soft, completely different to the image I can make. (Maybe a purposefully dirty lens? - Vaseline on a filter?) 

If anyone can give me some pointers in how to get closer to this look it would be a huge help, I must be missing some really obvious things. Or even point me to some similar LUTS as a starting point if they exist. 

Huge thanks and I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology.

Hi Francis!

Nothing special about that look at all, and the images are normally balanced.

What I can tell you is that the contrast is rather rich, and that can be achieved by using any custom curve work alone or in combination with some lift, gamma, gain adjustments. Getting a bold rich contrast and different methods is discussed in most of the articles on this site.

Nicolas

• Like 1

What do you like about this? Most of it looks like straight out of cam, many bad balanced clips, the saturation levels are jumping all over. This is not colored by a professional and it's nothing that can't be recreated in two clicks here. A couple of basic tutorials would get you to a level that let you judge these clips yourselves.

• Like 2