Margus Voll

BL for Avid for starting out

Just looked intro to BL for Avid on FilmLight page and got intrigued a bit.

What i mean is usually i get edit from avid and the thing that was mentioned in the end "see grade while editing" is the case some times it would make sense to Harness. My goal would be to learn that workflow and practice some BL on top seems like good idea to me.

Am i missing something here or is there just conform bit that is different?

Another part would be to allow to do something that would be usable in the end one way or the other that seems to me not possible with student ?

(i also always run out of student time frame when i can do something meaningful)

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here.

The Baselight/Avid workflow is unique from the point of view that you don't need to render/export any type of movie file from a full Baselight system to see the grade inside Media Composer. It's simply sending over the metadata (which the BL plugin can read) which will allow you to see the full grade on your Avid timeline. You can actually do this with the free version of the plugin, so it costs nothing to have it installed on as many Avid workstations as needed. It's when you want to further tweak the grade from within MC that you need to purchase a licence

This works two-way, so you can do a grade within Avid (using Baselight for Avid) and send this metadata to a full Baselight. for further work or finessing.

I know there are some colorists who use Baselight Editions to grade entire projects within the AVID. One of the drawbacks though is that AVID prevents the plugin from playing back footage with the plugin window open. Other than that I believe all of the same tools are there.

Craig

56 minutes ago, Craig Harris said:

One of the drawbacks though is that AVID prevents the plugin from playing back footage with the plugin window open.

I'm not sure what footage you're talking about, but the shot being graded is visible in the BL plugin window and can played within the plugin. It can made full-screen within the computer display monitor and even output to a grading monitor if you have the relevant hardware attached (ie. Nitris  BOB or Blackmagic card/IO box).

• Like 1

One of the things that people liked with Avid's Symphony option was relational colour grading. 

With BL version 5 we have a similar ability.  You can  grade a shot and have it automatically apply forward (or backwards) in the timeline to a group of shots based on source name, reel etc.