David Gomez Ojeda

Black Bars not Black

Hi there

So maybe I guess this is a known issue but I can´t figure out why is happening at all, no sense to me.

Importing Open Gate 3424x2202 Anamorphic footage into a 1080 timeline and desqueezing, so, obviously black bars appear up and down. 

Grading in a Fsi Cm-250 trough BM minimonitor, the black bars are black, really black, no doubt. But when I import JPG stills and see them in the phone, screen, iPads... it seems like the black bars are contamined by the grading, so they're not pure black anymore, and the DP complaints, I would too...

Why is this happening, its so annoying.

Hi David

there are few things that should be known before giving a proper answer.

the only thing contaminated are the black bars or does the image looks more contrasty on your display?

a quick things that come in mind is, when the image are desqueeze, the black bars you see are black to start with, but if you really push the level you see that behave like they are part of the image, so if you "pollute" the black with a color cast or the blacks are lifted also the bars will be

The solution would be to blank the frame using output sizing or timeline blanking

that if there are not other problems that I can't see with the info we have.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Orash Rahnema said:

the only thing contaminated are the black bars or does the image looks more contrasty on your display?

The grade looks fine either on the Cm-250/iphones/ipads... the issue is that the black bars have lost their 100% black, and that makes the Dop crazy 

a quick things that come in mind is, when the image are desqueeze, the black bars you see are black to start with, but if you really push the level you see that behave like they are part of the image, so if you "pollute" the black with a color cast or the blacks are lifted also the bars will be

Ok so here comes my missunderstanding, I've always thought that Davinci ignores the bars... It hasn't been until this job that we pushed the blacks a little bit more than usual that the Dop complained about the stills (because of subtle grey black bars). 

The solution would be to blank the frame using output sizing or timeline blanking

I didn't try this option because of the misunderstanding explained before, will go this way from now on.

Thanks Orash

• Like 1