I don't do much Beauty touch ups, and most of what I do is pretty quick turnaround, so I just use the quickest tricks, personally.

Lowering the "Midtone Detail" option in Resolve is great for that (which is based on frequency separation).

And I use the Hue vs Hue curve when skin colour is inconsistent (bad make-up, etc...)

• Like 6

If the model got light skin you would like to hide the blue / magenta beneath the surface, especially around the eyes. Just like girls do in real life to make the skin look more healthy and to make the eyes pop. Adding some warmth to knock out those colors will often result in some more "life" to the model even if you want to keep the overall skin tones natural. 

Edited by Abby Bader
  • Like 4

What technique do you prefer for skin smoothing? I will leave wrinkles and pimples to the Flame guys but since I got better keyer/tracker I want to do the first pass getting rid of the skin pores around the nose area.

Edited by Nicolas Hanson

On 30.3.2017 at 11:29 PM, Nicolas Hanson said:

What technique do you prefer for skin smoothing?

Tonal skin rendering is controlled by how we blend the three channels, so you should treat them seperately if you want fine control. The blue channel represents detail, and red tends to have smoother tones than green. You can use this insight to adjust the values to your liking. You could also blur different channels.

• Like 6

Reducing midtone details is widely used on beauty spots and is a really great way of smoothing skin.

I'm generally not happy with package tools, but I have to say that I'm impressed with the new face track tool in DR when it comes to mapping lips, eyes and cheeks. The white inside the eyes could be difficult to highlight with traditional tracking but this tool analyze pretty complicated compositions and it has helped me many times.

• Like 2

You can track the clone stamp in Fusion. I use it all the time to remove pimples and wrinkles. You can apply it to a Bspline and clone over the wrinkles with whatever shape you make it into (Line, circle, etc.). You can key frame the shape to move around objects like a foot if you are removing tape off the floor for instance. It also changes over lighting conditions so if you have arranged your selection correctly it will change with the shadowing or movement. All the tools are in the free version as well and dynamically links to Davinci! :) No dancing skin or frame by frame mess. Took me a while to figure it out since there isn't any information online about it (that I can find - and I was new to Fusion at the time) but has tripled my speed with motion-retouching. 

• Like 5
On 1/11/2018 at 12:26 PM, Ira Morris said:

You can track the clone stamp in Fusion. I use it all the time to remove pimples and wrinkles. You can apply it to a Bspline and clone over the wrinkles with whatever shape you make it into (Line, circle, etc.). You can key frame the shape to move around objects like a foot if you are removing tape off the floor for instance. It also changes over lighting conditions so if you have arranged your selection correctly it will change with the shadowing or movement. All the tools are in the free version as well and dynamically links to Davinci! :) No dancing skin or frame by frame mess. Took me a while to figure it out since there isn't any information online about it (that I can find - and I was new to Fusion at the time) but has tripled my speed with motion-retouching. 

Hi Ira,

I would love to learn more about this technique. As it will be my first time diving into Fusion, do you have any tutorial links that you would suggest? 

Just watched a couple "getting started" videos for Fusion followed by this basic cloning video. Did a quick test removing a blemish on a subject and very impressed with the results. Looking forward to exploring this more!

Edited by Aaron Rosapepe
  • Like 3

In Resolve just us Node Sizing / Power Windows / Tracker to attchieve what Abby suggested. Use it all the time to remove stuff. Spots, mics / booms, rig, dead pixels (before the dead pixel tool was available in R14). But a proper trackable paint tool would have been great to have too. Maybe that will surface in R15?

• Like 3

Mocha Pro is now also available as an Avid or OFX plugin, which saves having to export your video every time you want to planar track something. It's also included as part of the tool-set in the latest Boris Continuum suite of plugins, although I think it might be missing the remove module in this case.

It's always been my go-to application when I have a difficult track to do. It's particularly good with object removal/replacement where there's perspective changes or obstructions that tend to throw off point trackers

• Like 3