Margus Voll

Xeon vs i7

I wonder how others feel about Resolve station on Xeon vs i7?

I think of going pc for more power but have not decided yet finally.

Xeon is better in some tasks but i7 seems more cost effective. As i plan to do other things also on the same machine like Fusion and some 3d plus DCP encoding then core count is also important i7 10c vs dual xeon 24 cores.

Price difference is not that big just 2x

Lets say 7 k for i7 setup and 15 k on xeon.

My only concern is expandability and working on Linux Resolve. Sure cost is somewhat and issue but to a degree.
Then again maybe i'm thinking it over to much.

Xeon processors really come into their own when you go dual processor. Each xeon has it's own PCIE controller, which means in dual chip setups you'll get access to more PCIE channels and potentially better performance from any PCIE cards you may have installed. Cheaper processor/motherboard combinations often have two or more PCIE slots sharing a channel.This can be an issue if you have RAID cards, graphics cards and host adapter cards (feeding external equipment) which really need their own bus to perform to the maximum potential. Dual xeon motherboards can also have memory interleaving, which  helps in memory-intensive applications.

Workstations like the HP Z840 exploit these techniques to push data around at the best possible speeds.

As with all things, it's all about data throughput, as your system can only run as fast as the weakest link.

• Like 1

This is a beast of a motherboard and will probably need the Supermicro chassis to house it. One of the reasons for it's size is that there are five PCIe x16 slots which are two slots away from each other. This means you can happily have multiple large graphics cards installed without them obscuring the adjacent slots. With 2 processors installed you get the full 80 PCIe 3.0 lanes available for your cards, and you can install up to 2 TB memory. There's also support (via an add-in card) for thunderbolt and 10 SATA 6gbps ports. All this adds up to a really powerful (and expensive) system which should tear through the data with something like Resolve. For those of us wanting to experience guaranteed real-time grading performance at UHD/4K, this is the sort of system you need.

• Like 2

Maybe later date.

I'm leaning strongly now towards i7 as it seems xeons will throttle in some occasions to 2,5 ghz only, my friend tested with setup i'm thinking of and it choked like a ton. I have felt similar thing with clients 36 cored xeon (win machine also)

Why i started to think of that is 2 gpus will be good for me now and 10c i7 can be very solid performer ad OC 4ghz with stable results and with regular cooling.

As i use also other apps and not only resolve then having less but much faster cores makes sense for now.

I plan to use 3333 speed ram and M.2 ssd for os and that should give me insane os response on paper.

9 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

I'm leaning strongly now towards i7 as it seems xeons will throttle in some occasions to 2,5 ghz only, my friend tested with setup i'm thinking of and it choked like a ton. I have felt similar thing with clients 36 cored xeon (win machine also)

It's important to set your OS power plans to the highest performance available, otherwise a certain amount of throttling will happen. It seems there's also more going on under the hood with managing CPU than I realised. Things like CPU parking and frequency scaling can effect performance, and these (hidden) parameters are often set too conservatively.

I recommend you take a look at this web site...

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

To quote part of the page...

"Create a power plan that auto-optimizes your hardware for max performance far beyond the system default ‘High Performance’ power plan."