Virgil Edward

Scene Referred or Display Referred Grading?

Good day to all, I'm wondering if what most of you use as your workflow. Whenever I use ACES, it's quicker for me to primary balance shots, but my problem is that I can't have the blacks that I want from DaVinci YRGB. The blacks clips to the S-Curve of ACES same with the whites. 

My problem with DaVinci YRGB is that ACES' color is more natural and 'correct' when balancing, skin tones looks nice as well. I'm torn apart by the pros and cons of each color science. 

Edited by Virgil Edward

Have you tried after balancing with log tools make another node and use primary tools to see how that behaves for shadow and whites?

IN a way that is ACES feature to be softer on those areas and not clip insanely but do it more organically. At lest this is how it seems to me.

Log tools affect mainly mid tones and a bit high and low depending how you have set tolerances.

Try Primary in last node or after log and see what it does.
Seems to me that it is less gentle and affects images more harsh which also seems to be the thing you are after.

Just try it out as it is my subjective feel to do that like this. It might not be "correct" but usually works in situations where i use it.

• Thanks 1

I had the same "problem", and the way I found was to work in YRGB and use the ACES Transform OFX to get the best of both worlds. However this might not be ideal if you have multiple deliveries, especially in HDR, in that case I also believe that log tools can give you the blacks you want.

As for the workflow with the ACES Transform OFX, you could try this:

Node 1 - IDT to ACEScct

Node 2 -  Primary balance

Node 3 - ODT to Rec709

Node 4 - Adjust the blacks

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Luca Leocádio Soares said:

I had the same "problem", and the way I found was to work in YRGB and use the ACES Transform OFX to get the best of both worlds. However this might not be ideal if you have multiple deliveries, especially in HDR, in that case I also believe that log tools can give you the blacks you want.

As for the workflow with the ACES Transform OFX, you could try this:

Node 1 - IDT to ACEScct

Node 2 -  Primary balance

Node 3 - ODT to Rec709

Node 4 - Adjust the blacks

Thanks for this one, Luca. I will give this one a try, it also works for the highlights right? It's okay since we don't do HDRs yet here in the Philippines.

I was watching one of Dado Valentic's Youtube seminars a few months ago and he dropped an offhand comment about how to achieve Rec709 grading 'feel' in Aces. The screengrabs show the setup he recommended. I saved it out as a powergrade but haven't actually tried it out yet. Might work for you..

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG