Mark Mulcaster

The state of HDR grading

Hiya,

As the resident colourist at my facility I've been asked to put together a HDR primer course for people throughout the business, it doesn't need to be massively technical (which is probably why they asked me!).

But what i'd like to offer is a snap shot of current industry trends for grading and finishing HDR.

So if you have 2-3 minutes i'd be really interested in reading your experiences (can be as brief or expanded upon as you have time for.) Thanks!

General questions

Have you graded HDR?

How often?

What type of content are you working on?

Who for? (broadcaster, on demand streaming service etc)

Workflow questions

Are you grading HDR first or SDR first?

Are you using a Dolby Vision workflow?

If you're not using a Dolby Vision workflow are you doing a manual trim or using some automatic tone mapping?

How much time are you given for the creation of your secondary delivery format ie 1 day for a SDR trim pass

Do you grade only in PQ ( even without a dolby vision workflow) or do you work in HLG?

What grading software are you using?

On what platform is the final online being carried out on ie Avid, Premiere Pro, Flame etc?

Many thanks

-Mark

Edited by Mark Mulcaster

My plans for 2020 included getting serious about HDR grading.  I've been shooting on RED cameras since 2014 and I've wanted to produce HDR since YouTube enabled it in late 2016.  But there were many obstacles.

No more.  I bought an FSI XM-310K, which I pair with my DM-240 for DolbyVision style side-by-side HDR/SDR grading.  To answer your questions:

General questions

Have you graded HDR? Yes.

How often? Every chance I get.

What type of content are you working on?  Creative music projects recorded at Manifold Recording.

Who for? (broadcaster, on demand streaming service etc) Music studio clients and myself.

Workflow questions

Are you grading HDR first or SDR first?  Last year it was SDR first, and checking HDR on consumer-grade OLED.  This year (and hereafter) HDR first with SDR for all HDR deliverables.

Are you using a Dolby Vision workflow?  Yes.

If you're not using a Dolby Vision workflow are you doing a manual trim or using some automatic tone mapping?  I am using DolbyVision AND doing manual trims.

How much time are you given for the creation of your secondary delivery format ie 1 day for a SDR trim pass?  I do SDR checks as I review HDR renders. By the time I'm finished with HDR for delivery, SDR is just playing the HDR deliverables with it's corresponding SDR LUT.

Do you grade only in PQ ( even without a dolby vision workflow) or do you work in HLG?  PQ only.

What grading software are you using?  DaVinci Resolve.  I recently posted to their Feature Request forum my ideas for how to work best in 16.2.2 and am trying to open a discussion about what will make it better for the future.

On what platform is the final online being carried out on ie Avid, Premiere Pro, Flame etc?  DaVinci Resolve.