dermot.shane

HP's remote GFX system Q?

has anyone got it working?

i wanted to test it, installed sender/receiver on four HP z class machines, and receiver on my MBP, set all senders to easy logon, and get the same error message on all machines
[IMG]

as i've entered correct ip / machine name / password, and made sure RGS passes through the firewall, i'm thinking it might be #2...
i've read the manual, and no help that i can see there
i've reached out to HP support forum, no answers
i've emailed support and they sent me the manual, and have ghosted me since
i've asked local HP tech's and they deal with hardware only

TeamViewer yearly contract is up at the end of the month, i'd love to eval RGS, but can't get connected to even take a peek at it

any help appreacated

I don't have any experience with the remove viewer myself, but I have had good luck getting help from Alex Salazar at HP: alex.tsu.salazar@hp.com

He probably doesn't know much about the remote viewer since he's AFAIK a hardware guy, but he might be able to get you in touch with someone who can. 

thanks Rakesh, i've had great support from HP in the past, but that was all about hardware issues, our local support in Vancouver Canada is amazing top to tail, but not able to help on this file

now an update:
i got RGS working, painful and tedious, but working...

after setting RGS to easy login, restarting the machine (not mentioned in the manual) i got it to work inside the firewall at the studio, the machines need a static IP, already had that, but worth mentioning

then we needed to set up a VPN to get through our firewall from my suite at home, and my MBP

good stuff after an hour with it:

-it's fast  - as in i see 24Fps playback without dropped frames playing Resolve's UI on my laptop in a local cafe with a crap connection, far, far better than Teamviewer,  have both on the MBP so could run them one after an other, the diffrence is quite noticable

-far better image quality than Teamviewer can offer as well, by a long shot

bad stuff:

- supremely user unfriendly to set up

- need to manualy enter IP addy, machine name, and password EVERY time, every single time...it has no list of approved / safe machines

- no scaling options - it’s only 1:1 making navigation a needless pita with a smaller screen - yes Mr MBP, i’m looking at you…

- need to give anyone  you want to share a screen with your VPN addy, machine name and password! Ekkkkk! like that’s gonna happen…

in the last  three days on my machine i’ve had clients approveing VFX / editor sorting conform issues / Assist transferring DRP and checking  - all logged on with TeamViewer and every time i reset the password after they logged out

i’m not going to re-set the machine name and password endlessly, not to mention i have to restart the machine for windoze to accept a user name change every time... ouch....

HP support got back to me, they are esclateing, but that was before i got it going, still going to ask question to make sure i'm understanding the login process, and see if there's a way to have a cleint/assist/ VFX artist whomever log on without needing to give them access to the machine permently

Jason Myres @ LGG suggested looking at "NoMachine" https://www.nomachine.com/

so i'm leaning toward haveing both NoMachine for cleints to log on, probbaly on the z800, and me to use from my laptop so it can scale, and RGS between machines both at the studio and at home, where i'm comfortable that i can keep the IP / user name / password info under control

any machine can be accessed from the z800 via RGS so the z800 serves as a hub

and a one year subscription to NoMachine costs less than a month of TeamViewer

one thing's for sure, i'll be dropping TeamViewer when the yearly contract runs out....  the same resources could pay for a year of Kognat, NoMachine, upgrade BCC to current and more....

Edited by dermot.shane