J T

Help with Underexposed Footage

Hello! Just found this forum so please go easy if I'm breaking any rules. Please let me know if there's a better place to put this type of post.

Often I'm a lone filmmaker so I can make simple mistakes sometimes, it's terrible. This time I didn't have a lens hood and went with the shot anyway and yikes this clip is underexposed. It's for a music video for a friend and I really want the visuals to match how talented my friend is.

Here's the underexposed clip:

bpZLarp.jpg

And here's what the rest of the footage looks like:

uKo8Av1.jpg

I0rPu9L.jpg

h48SRUR.jpg

It looks like the underexposed shot is too stylized. I thought it'd help to not have the blacks crushed, but I tried raising the midtones, but it makes it look even more stylized/washed out. I can send any screenshots to show what I mean if it helps. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? 

Edited by J T
  • Like 1

It's not always easy to judge a shot from a grabbed still, but it doesn't look particularly underexposed to me. It looks as if the dungerees he's wearing might be a bit black crushed, but I quite like the look of the rest of the shot. The cyanish backboard seems to complement his flesh tones nicely, and I'm not sure what you mean about it being too stylised. I'm guessing he's wanting some parrticular style for his video, and it's difficult to advise without knowing what look he's going for.

The lens flair is probably the one thing I'd want to remove from this shot. This shouldn't be too much of a problem (especially if it's a locked-off shot) since there's plenty of background you can use to paint it out.

If you become a Lowepost premium member there are many tutorials and case studies available that will help you understand the creative approach that many top colourists use in their daily work.

Are blacks crushed in source footage? If they are, you can try to add a little bit of lifting blacks. Maybe blacks softclip slider. Just to match black level to other shots. Or just leave it as is.

Also you can try to slightly desaturate or softclip highlights to fix this strange color on his nose and fingers

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich