lewis jacobs

CST problem

I'm sure this is a dumb amature question but why is it that if I have a log to rec709 CST at the end of the node tree why arent all the nodes before in rec709? Each node is unaffected by the node after 

Edited by lewis jacobs
13 hours ago, lewis jacobs said:

why arent all the nodes before in rec709?

Because the transform is applied on the third node. Resolve processes the first node first, the second node next and finally the third node and it will stay in camera space all the way until it reach the transform. I guess what confuses you is that you see the transformed image on your monitor. That does mean the image is rec709 but it doesn't mean the nodes prior to the transform is rec709. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Tom Evans said:

Because the transform is applied on the third node. Resolve processes the first node first, the second node next and finally the third node and it will stay in camera space all the way until it reach the transform. I guess what confuses you is that you see the transformed image on your monitor. That does mean the image is rec709 but it doesn't mean the nodes prior to the transform is rec709. 

I swear in the past I've put the CST or any lut at the end of the node tree and I've worked under the lut or transform. Every thing displayed would be in rec709 even tho I'm working under the final transform. I could put the transform first but I hear its cleaner to put it towards the end of the tree 

14 minutes ago, Tom Evans said:

Yes of course, what is your question really? 

How can I work under the transform so everything appears "normalized" and not in log so I can get proper keys etc.

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly 

First of all, "working under the transform" means the opposite of what you write. It means working prior to the transform / on nodes before the transform. 

If you want to work on a normalized image you will have to work on a node after the transform. If you want access to the log data, you will need to work on nodes before the transform. It can be more complex, but you are confused enough. 

I suggest you watch the first lessons of this course, it explains the concept very well.  

• Like 1