Nikola Stefanovic

Rendering in Baselight

Hello,

Can someone explain how to setup rendering in Baselight 4.4 to match equivalent render settings from Resolve:

- individual clips, DPX

- source timecode and metadata

- original resolution, no resizing

- force de-bayering in high quality

- everything in one folder

- add 25 frames handles.

Also, if I have compositing like chroma key, what would be the best workflow to output plates, not composites?

Thanks,

Nikola

Hi Nikola

for adding handles you have to go to VIEW then SHOTS and choose. I save the timeline as a renderversion before doing this.

And go sure you choose SORT BY: timeline position if you want it in the right order as graded.

timeline_sort.jpg

Render:

To choose your setting like Metadata and so on, click the little arrow on the left. It will give you all the options.

Usually the debayer and decode setting is set in the timeline/shot. I never touch it in the render settings.

render_choose.jpg

For resolution choose USE Input Format to render your native resolution

You can choose your timecode settings with Metadata

To render DPX  choose Sequences and for Filetype DPX.

You can modify the output naming by adding e.g. %P or %L....just check the little question mark at numbering.

Trick: If you choose the ACES-template when opening a new timeline/project you get all these templates in the render setting.

Just choose from here and modify in case.

Hope that helped.

render_1.jpg

Edited by Andreas Brueckl
  • Like 3

Thank you Andreas.

I've tried everything that you suggested and I have better idea now.

Still struggling with rendering options for timeline conformed from MOV and ARRI files since its seams I need to render quicktime to DPX in one way and ARRI to DPX in another way. Not elegant at all.

I really like everything about grading in Baselight but I need to say that conforming and rendering are "Before 2000".

• Like 1
On 17.10.2016 at 3:59 PM, Nikola Stefanovic said:

Thank you Andreas.

I've tried everything that you suggested and I have better idea now.

Still struggling with rendering options for timeline conformed from MOV and ARRI files since its seams I need to render quicktime to DPX in one way and ARRI to DPX in another way. Not elegant at all.

I really like everything about grading in Baselight but I need to say that conforming and rendering are "Before 2000".

Before 2000: Thats Filmlights philosophy of giving the operator every possible combination to serve any workflow. Hard to make that less complex. Btw in V5 you can finally conform from different drives/path. 

On 17.10.2016 at 3:59 PM, Nikola Stefanovic said:

Hi Nikola, how is everything going with this? 

Everyone familiar with Avid can confirm that the software feels and acts almost identical to the way it did last decade. The same applies to Houdini and other software solutions that require as much manual control as possible. Working with the Avid developers for many years I've finally understood that user choice and modern design not necessary goes hand in hand.