Margus Voll

Formats

Hi.

I was re watching formats explanation yesterday in Filmlight Vimeo and got little ahaa moment again and also a question.

Ahaa moment came from this video:

Masks help to "crop" source material to scaling chart very fast and easy.

My question is if the material shooting stage on set is masked like this on monitoring already so effective image area for framing is already visually determined like this but over shot for framing and such?

It has been talked many times that "we shot 8k but mastered in 4k and we had extra material for reframing if needed"
This example seems to be one of those cases perhaps?

Another question was with mapping:

Say material is shot in 6k, working resolution is 2k, cursor and monitoring is HD.
When you render to 4k and disable cache does this mean images get processed from 6k material directly to 4k
without down scaling followed by upscale and you get direct correct 6 to 4 k master?
Sure the render is slower but it can be done.

What i'm after here is if i work on BL One and it is usually HD can i render out 4k like this with full possible quality.
I have asked this before but want to be sure i understand this correctly.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Margus Voll said:

My question is if the material shooting stage on set is masked like this on monitoring already so effective image area for framing is already visually determined like this but over shot for framing and such?

Yes the cropped material is available for stabilising and reframing.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Margus Voll said:

Another question was with mapping:

Say material is shot in 6k, working resolution is 2k, cursor and monitoring is HD.
When you render to 4k and disable cache does this mean images get processed from 6k material directly to 4k
without down scaling followed by upscale and you get direct correct 6 to 4 k master?
Sure the render is slower but it can be done.

Yes this is correct. The material will then be downscaled directly from 6k to 4k for the render. All image transforms (including creative reframes in the timeline) are concatenated into a single one. 

Cheers, Andy

• Like 2