Nicolas Hanson

Media offline on DaVinci Resolve timeline

One of the clips on my timeline are marked "media offline". Strangely, when I play through the clips in the edit room it's there despite of that the thumb says that it's offline. I can play the clip in the color room too, but sometimes (not always) the screen flash media offline. Any idea what is going on? It's not a timecode / clip conflict as I don't have any options or opportunity to right click and change the source clip.

Intermittent faults like this can be difficult to pin down. The only time I've seen something like this was when I was editing in Avid Symphony. One of my linked/AMA'd clips would occasionally not display and cause the software to hang for around 20 seconds, after which I'd get an error message. 
It turned out that there was a corrupt frame in the middle of the clip. If you loaded the clip from the start, all was fine. Once I'd played across the corrupt frame, my problems started.

On 9/29/2016 at 2:26 AM, Igor Riđanović said:

On occasion I see the equivalent of this on the delivery page. The final output will have a missing frame. I think what happens is that somehow renderer outpaces the supply of source media.

I have noticed the same several times.

I would bet the same thing but that isn't the case this time. Actually, I've started a new project and imported the files once again but they appear offline. Strange? The file sizes are intact, it's like DaVinci suddenly can't read r3d files anymore.

I have a simular issue, after a save i came to back and my entire timeline saying "media offline" in red. I deleted the render cache, which made the entire project (not just the timeline anymore) display "media offline".  And all my previous saves all show media offline. I have also not deleted any of the media just organised it in folder, could this have anything to do with it? .Please help as I've been working on this edit multiple days.

Edited by bob
Typos
3 hours ago, bob said:

I have also not deleted any of the media just organised it in folder

Are you saying you organised the media into folders after you'd added your clips into the media pool?

If that is the case, then you've moved the file locations so Resolve doesn't know where they are.

You need to either return the files to their original location or re-link the files. You can do this by selecting all your clips in the media tool, right-clicking on the clips and selecting 'Relink Selected Clips...'  You can then navigate to the media's new location.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Nicolas Hanson said:

Strangely this continues to happen on the latest build as well.  A frame or two with "media offline" flashes when playing throught the timeline, and it also appears on the render. 

Have you tried creating optimised media of the offending clips on the timeline and seeing if this cures the problem?

1 hour ago, Nicolas Hanson said:

Hi Bruno, how do I create optimised media of the clip?

Select the clip in the media pool that's causing the problem, right click and select 'generate optimized media'. Resolve will generate new media from that clip, base on the settings in the 'General Options' section of the project settings. I would choose a codec that is similar (or equivalent to) the codec you're rendering out to.

Now go to the edit or color page and click on the playback options and set the 'Use Optimized Media if Available' option.

If the original media is fine and Resolve created the optimized media correctly, you shouldn't see the 'media offline' flashes.

• Like 2