Markus Baburske

fast copy grades to shots with the same clip name?

Hi Baselight folks,

i am new to Baselight and currently preparing my first job. I was wondering if there is something similar to "A/C Mode" from DaVinci (switching between source and record sorting). I am looking for a fast way to copy the primary grading to shots with the similar clip name.

Thanks, 

Markus

Hi Markus,

there is not the exact same function as A/C Mode in Baselight. But there a several other methods to achieve this, depending on your working style. I will give a few examples:

Some Baselight users, keep a second scene which they created with timeline sort. There they keep the shots in a special order and add extra handles, etc. The Multi-Paste tool makes it very easy copy/paste grades between two scenes.

What I personally prefer is to use the Multi-Paste tool within the same scene. An example: Let's say I graded a talking head shot, which I now want to paste to all similar shots in the whole timeline.

- I copy my stack to the copy buffer (W, CTRL-C)

- I select the whole timeline (CTRL-A). Alternatively press ALT-A to only select everything right of the cursor.

- Then Multi-Paste (CTRL-M) applies the grade. 

It is important to setup the right Multi-Paste settings before. Usually Source: Current Copy Buffer, Match Events by: Clip Name / Ignore Time Ranges (set this to TC if you want to apply frame accurate trackers/keyframes). You can also do this for several shots at once. 

Another method is to build playback filters in Shots View: There is a template 'Current Tape'. When you activate this in the playback filtering the timeline will be filtered to only show the shots with the same tapename. In Shots view you can build very powerful filters in new tabs. e.g. to isolate all Retimes, Drones, B-CAM, VFX shots, etc. There you can also build a filter for similar clipnames.

Cheers, Andy