Tom Evans

Black Magic Ultrastudio Mini 4K latency in DaVinci Resolve

I have the Black Magic Ultrastudio Mini 4K connected to a Mac Mini M1 and I do experience some latency / delay. When I click "play" on the timeline in DaVinci Resolve the image plays immidiately but it takes a millisecond or two before the audio is sent to the audio monitors. It's annoying because it's not possible to edit precisely this way. Any idea how to deal with this?

Are you monitoring the audio through HDMI or from the analogue outputs?

I'd have thought the analogue OP to have the lowest latency as there would no extra decoding/de-embedding to be done.

I'm assuming the delay is just from hitting 'play' (or whatever) but once it starts it's in sync?

Through the analogue outputs, but it seems like this is an issue with speed overall. Maybe because I have my Prores HQ footage on an HDD external disk connected to the USB-C output on the Mac Mini M1? Will it become speedier if I put all the footage on an external SSD disk? The frame counter in Resolve shows it uses a few milli seconds until it reaches full frame speed.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:24 AM, Tom Evans said:

I have the Black Magic Ultrastudio Mini 4K connected to a Mac Mini M1 and I do experience some latency / delay. When I click "play" on the timeline in DaVinci Resolve the image plays immidiately but it takes a millisecond or two before the audio is sent to the audio monitors. It's annoying because it's not possible to edit precisely this way. Any idea how to deal with this?

How are you monitoring audio? Are you coming out of the UltraStudio? That should be precisely in sync with the image, and it should be fairly fast. I don't expect instantaneous anything in post, but I do have to have precise sync, for editing and for timing purposes.