A photochrome print was created by imprinting up to 15, tinted litho stones onto paper. The photochrome prints I've seen often have brownish tints, which sort of reminded me of my youth, when I mixed too many colours together from my paint tin!
 Maybe printing that many colours on top of each other is the reason for the muddy tints in the photochrome process.

Anyway, I've heard that using 3D LUT Creator does a good job creating photochrome-style effects without introducing problems such as colour banding.

• Like 5

Hi Abby. Thanks for topic. I'll follow this with interest!

I wonder what lenses and filter were used on shooting? And what colour palette  used? Of course I'd prefer to talk to DOP first and also discover the material used as inspiration.

As for my taste the greatest look is Belgian Milk Sellers (maybe oversaturated a bit but still). More then it's very close to Alexa. But with no different of a palette and locations I'd say the main course is Chocolate deep darks and Bronze light.

800px-05666u_unprocessed.jpg

Edited by Serge Kosevtsov
  • Like 3

Hello everyone, first post here!

I started playing with that type of look a bit, though didn't get the time to get very far, but my approach was to key broad ranges of colours, desaturate them, and bring back artificial colour back in. Depending on source material, I'd get 4-8 "slices" of chroma values that would each get a different colour added back in.

So for example, to mimic the look of Serge's photo example above, I'd key the grass, the skintones, the sky, the dirt/bricks, the blue clothes, the red clothes, the gold objects + dogs, desaturate everything, and add a specific chroma value into each of them.

Would also need to play with how to blend the colours into the B&W image (probably a bit of softening/spreading of the colours), maybe a multiply-type blending mode and playing with overall sharpness.

Looking forward to following this thread!

• Like 5

Hello colorists!
I did a study on photochrome and got a look that pleased me a lot.
As I have been testing directly I believe it can reduce the number of nodes.

I started by creating parallel node and applying a general increase in temperature and contrast, then separated layer and sky and grass and made some saturation, hue and curve adjustments. To finish I simulated a kodak super 16mm film and made some more adjustments of contrast, hue and general saturation.

I hope you enjoyed it and that I contributed to the understanding of this look.

Regards!

PHOTOCHROME.jpg

• Like 5
On 26.11.2016 at 1:06 AM, Serge Kosevtsov said:

Hi Abby. Thanks for topic. I'll follow this with interest!

I wonder what lenses and filter were used on shooting? And what colour palette  used? Of course I'd prefer to talk to DOP first and also discover the material used as inspiration.

Hi Serge. The production rented some old Russian Kowa lenses. Great texture and soft spots. The project is not released but I will post some images when I get permission.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Abby Bader said:

Hi Serge. The production rented some old Russian Kowa lenses. Great texture and soft spots. The project is not released but I will post some images when I get permission.

Great! And that's right - the texture here plays a big role. Alexa plus Kowa it should be amazing!

Hello guys! I know this is a few months old now, but I was looking exactly into this for a music video shot on Red I just did. Unfortunately some of the night shots were not exactly on point (mainly due to the lenses that had to be used on the body rig for the shots). Having those as a bottleneck, we decided to go with other references!

But I would love to see some shots  Before & After, if you are able to put them here. Or even just see the final outcome somehow. 

Have a lovely day everyone! 

I'm not quite sure if we landed on that kind of look. Sometimes we are inspired by something and put example images on the table but as we start working we might end up in a different place. Here are before and after on one of the scenes.

c_1.22.2.jpg

b2_1.22.1.jpg

d_1.18.2.jpg

Edited by Abby Bader
  • Like 2