Aaron Rosapepe

Grading Red footage and Black Magic Braw in one session?

Greetings,

I am about to start editing a project that has been shot on both Red Dragon and Black Magic Ursa Pro 4.6K. I have never graded a project using different raw formats in one session and am trying to formulate a workflow plan now so I won't get caught off guard during finishing. Is it possible to set more then one raw format on a single timeline in Resolve so the correct color science is being interpreted? If not, what would the most efficient approach be?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated!

If you're delivering in Rec709, you could also just decode the clip and adjust the Raw files as needed and do it all manually. Store one correction for one type of camera as a Gallery still, and store another correction for the other type of camera as another Gallery still. Then as they go back and forth, grab whatever you need and go for it.

As an alternative, you could create a temp grade for (say) the Red files, sort them in C-mode so that all those camera files come up at once, and then apply that temp grade to all of them. And then locate all the BMD files, highlight those, and apply the temp grade there. Go back to A-mode (record) sorting, and fine-tune every clip. It's not that hard.

• Like 1