Matt Floryan

Film Emulation LUTS in Baselight

I am leaning quite a bit about Truelight and really enjoy the color management implementation in baselight. I was wonder what the correct color management protocol would be in order to use a film emulation lut, say a Koji lut. When I set my input to alexa clog/wide gamut, my working colour space to filmLight: T Log/E-Gamut, and my my grade result colour space to "from stack" I get the proper "Rec 709" Transform however If I try to apply a Koji LUT there is obviously to much contrast in the image. I would like to know the proper pipeline when applying additional LUTS. Also, I saw the "internal-Fuji_Film" option under the trulight tab. How is that function implemented. Thanks so much for the help!

Hi Matt,

a typical print film emulation LUT will replace the DRT in Baselight. To apply it in a colour managed workflow do the following:

1. Create a new layer
  2. Replace the first operator in the layer with: ColourSpace - Convert to 'Input Colour Space of the LUT' e.g. LogC
  3. Replace the second operator in the layer with: Truelight (Apply the LUT)
  4. Replace the third operator in the layer with: ColourSpace - Identify ColourSpace 'Output Colour Space of the LUT' e.g. Rec.1886

Please be aware that you might limit your possible deliveries doing that. A more flexible and future-proof approach is to use the new scene-looks in the 'Look' operator. They can be keyed in and used for all kind of deliveries (including HDR). The 'internal-Fuji_Film' profile in Truelight is a generic Fuji print emulation from Printing Density to Rec.1886.

• Like 1

Arri Look Library is excellent new add to Baselight!

I'm working with BL Edition and for me is real time saver and good starting point for creative look.

Even more, ARRI C-Log for WCS and ARRI ALFv.2 for DRT add more natural conversion (by my POV) than others.

Why is that, I can't clarify, but result is very, very good! 

Just to mention, my incoming media 80% are in Sony S-Gamut3/S-Log3.

• Like 1