Julien Alary

adding grain matte

Hi, 

I'm a freelance colorist who works 80% of the time on Resolve and now and then on the baselight. On Resolve I often use cinegrain and wanted to do the same in Baselight.. As I put the grain  at the bottom of the stack  with a blend overlay, the shot becomes darker. Is that normal or is it some parameter I dont know about?

//Julien 

This is normal behaviour as overlay is a combination of both multiply and screen. Meaning that if your base layer is darker that 50% grey it will become darker.

Note that Overlay preserves the  shadows and highlight values, so correcting the grain layer using the gamma control should get it back to the initial state quite non destructive. 

• Like 3

I prefer external scan, looks much better. 

With an overlay blend, there should be no difference (except the grain of course) 

Just found out that my colorspace was wrong in the grain strip and that's why the image got darker......it was set to rec709 instead of log c wide gamut. Glad i found out, everything looks much better now:-) 

BTW: For overlay blend mode it usually works best to tag the inputCS of the grain plate with the "log" working colour space. (If the grain plate is grey). Then the brightness of the shot will be less affected. Alternatively one can also grade the exposure of the grain to avoid density shifts.