Thomas Singh

Optimize media for realtime playback in Davinci Resolve?

Yes you can.  Right click the clip or clips in your timeline and click generate optimized media.  The settings for optimized media are in the basic project settings window.  

I highly suggest you read the manual, as this is an extremely basic function of the program.  Reading the manual is paramount to knowing the software's capabilities.  

An alternative method to optimized media would be to transcode the footage to a lower resolution and relink to it via relink to media from bins.  Then relink back to the full resolution media before output.  This is basically the same thing, except you are doing the media management instead of Resolve doing it automatically.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have been coloring on heavy Linux systems and have never had any performance issues earlier. 8K is too much to handle so I need to find a solution, hopefully without transcoding to another finishing format. I have read about the cache methods but can't really see any big performance difference when activating the smart or user cache. The optimize media option should generate some kinds of HQ proxies to ensure realtime playback? Doesn't seem to work to me.