Peter

Film Stock LUTS

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Dulac said:

This is on their website now...

https://www.filmconvert.com/nitrate

Thats only for Premiere though. Hopefully there's a Resolve version coming. 

BTW I used FC in resolve for a short project and couldn't get real time playback. I can play RED footage in realtime on my system and this project was only Prores 422. Has anyone else had this issue? I like the image FC gives but its unusable unless I can actually play the footage.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, Peter said:

Thats only for Premiere though. Hopefully there's a Resolve version coming. 

BTW I used FC in resolve for a short project and couldn't get real time playback. I can play RED footage in realtime on my system and this project was only Prores 422. Has anyone else had this issue? I like the image FC gives but its unusable unless I can actually play the footage.

Hi Peter, yes an OFX version for Resolve is definitely on our roadmap for 2019.

With a modern system and graphics card, you shouldn't be experiencing slowness issues with FilmConvert. If you send us an email to support@filmconvert.com with your computer's specs (including GPU and driver details, OS etc) we'll try to fix the issue.

Hi John

I have already done that and FC said its Resolves fault. Resolve said its FC fault. :(

I have a decent machine. Up until a week or 2 ago, it was the fastest iMac you could get (not the iMac Pro) with 40GB Ram and 8GB Video Card.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:07 AM, dermot.shane said:

if you work in ACES chk out Paul Dore's PFE.. an elegant and flexiable answer

That's how I discovered DCTL's crash Resolve in Linux. A long standing bug that hasn't been fixed. Can't win some days 🙄

Hi all, FilmConvert Nitrate is out now for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects - you can download a free, fully-functional trial version of the plugin from www.filmconvert.com/download

Nitrate includes

• Cineon Log film emulations of all our film stocks, matched to your camera picture style
  • Full Log workflow - all color adjustments using the plugin are now calculated in Log, providing more natural, intuitive results when grading Log footage
  • Advanced grain controls - adjust film grain in the midtones, shadows and highlights with our film grain response curve
  • Metal GPU acceleration
  • and more...!

Nitrate for FCPX and DaVinci Resolve are on track for release later this year. Sign up at www.filmconvert.com/nitrate for updates and access to the beta versions when they are available

On 9/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, Evan Kultangwatana said:

Many thanks, John. As a customer of FilmConvert—which has been wonderful—I've been hoping for something to compete with the Koji LUTs, which are my gold standard but are rather limited. Hope you get a wealth of helpful customer response to create the best product possible!

I would recommend trying Cinegrain Pipeline. I have Koji and have trialed Film Convert Nitrate. Koji has issues that create artefacts in some situations, Pipeline 2383 v2 can match the Koji with some small adjustments. As for Nitrate i could get something very similar to my favourite Nitrate LUT with the Pipeline LUTS and i preferred the Pipeline version. Pipeline LUTS are extremely smooth with no artefacts / banding etc at all. I do find their base setup too contrasty and a little on the warm side but this is easily adjusted. YMMV

Cinegrain Pipeline is quite expensive for LUTs that don’t offer a demo or even side by side pictures on the site. Normally $999! How accurate are they to the actual film stocks?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Peter said:

Cinegrain Pipeline is quite expensive for LUTs that don’t offer a demo or even side by side pictures on the site. Normally $999! How accurate are they to the actual film stocks?

You can get them 50% off around black Friday. As to accuracy that's so hard to ever judge. Accurate to what? A film print can look so different depending on the settings used when it was processed / scanned. One thing for sure is the Pipeline LUTS look good and they are smooth artefacts wise. The only LUT i've seen that could demonstrate accuracy would be the one created by Steve Yedlin to emulate 5218 printed to 2383. I'm sure there are other accurate LUTS but they'll be propriety LUTS held by post facilities like efilm etc.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:35 PM, John Parker said:

Hi all, Nitrate is now out for DaVinci Resolve and Mac and Windows.  Free trial version as always is available at www.filmconvert.com/download

Hi John,

I've been using the original FilmConvert in Resolve for a while now. 

I always place FC in a serial node after my primary corrector for exposure, white balance etc. That way when FC does the log conversion, I have already made my primary corrections while still in log. With this workflow, what's the advantage of Nitrate? Grain aside, as I can see the controls are more advanced there, how would I benefit from using Nitrate with this workflow.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, James Lakey said:

Hi John,

I've been using the original FilmConvert in Resolve for a while now. 

I always place FC in a serial node after my primary corrector for exposure, white balance etc. That way when FC does the log conversion, I have already made my primary corrections while still in log. With this workflow, what's the advantage of Nitrate? Grain aside, as I can see the controls are more advanced there, how would I benefit from using Nitrate with this workflow.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi James. In Nitrate, the primary corrections are now processed in Log, so you could do your exp./WB etc all in the Nitrate node if you wanted to without the prior node. Either workflow is valid :)

Our exposure, temperature and tint controls are also customized to the camera profile you're using, so you may find you'll get more intuitive results from the Nitrate controls rather than the generic operations in Resolve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks.

We've been researching this problem since 2014 and finally released a film simulation tool for DaVinci – Dehancer Film OFX plugin.

Now we have 51 photographic and movie films – all of them are sampled from real film stock, printed in our own darkroom and packaged in a single plugin.
Many other films are waiting on the shell to be shot, printed and implemented. Just waiting for covid-19 to end (

Dehancer Film OFX is not based upon LUTs, because our film characterisation is a very sophisticated process + many unique stuff that just couldn’t fit in a single lut. We’ve even sampled –2 +2 push/pull film exposure variations. Crazy ones, indeed )

Film grain and Bloom are built in already – additional tools for realistic film look and feel.
Currently we are working on other features like film halation (almost ready), FFT filter, shutter mechanic simulation etc that will be added in the few months.

We'd be delighted if you look at some examples:

https://vimeo.com/dehancer

And it would be a great pleasure for us if you could try it:

https://www.dehancer.com

It’s free to try, and promo license requests are accepted via e-mail (see website contact info).

• Like 4

@John Parker Hey John, 

I was wondering if I am using FC Nitrate for grain only, will the grain still be applied correctly to a log image, in terms of your luma based algorithms for applying the grain? I have selected Arri LogC  for my profile, and just was curious with film color and contrast turned off and grain at 100 strength, is the grain being applied based on the log luma values, and is 100 strength considered the most true representation of the film grain when taking the algorithm into consideration? I am going after an authentic workflow, so I apply my grain to my log/negative image and then add my PFE. I read your grain is applied to the color channels and luma values through an algorithm that accurately mimics real film grain.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2020 at 4:36 AM, Jeremy Dulac said:

@John Parker Hey John, 

I was wondering if I am using FC Nitrate for grain only, will the grain still be applied correctly to a log image, in terms of your luma based algorithms for applying the grain? I have selected Arri LogC  for my profile, and just was curious with film color and contrast turned off and grain at 100 strength, is the grain being applied based on the log luma values, and is 100 strength considered the most true representation of the film grain when taking the algorithm into consideration? I am going after an authentic workflow, so I apply my grain to my log/negative image and then add my PFE. I read your grain is applied to the color channels and luma values through an algorithm that accurately mimics real film grain.

Hi Jeremy. Responded via our support inbox, but for anyone reading: 

If you select any log profile then the grain will be applied in a way that is appropriate for cineon, so you should put FilmConvert on after your Cineon conversion.