Marcelo Cosme

HDR calibration monitor

Hello, I use DisplayCAL to calibrate my reference monitor through Davinci Resolve (SpectralCal CalMAN). Currently I have acquired a 4k UHD monitor that recognizes 100% REC 709, 97.7% DCI-P3, 76.9% REC2020 ... What is the best way to do the calibration? Do I use the standard Resolve Rec709 D65 or should I try to change to HDR D65 Rec 2020?

What is the peak luminance of the monitor? If it isn't an HDR reference monitor, and doesn't get up to at least 1000 nits, callibrating it to HDR specs would be useless because you wont be able to monitor the full range of the HDR image. If you are finishing for web or broadcast just stick to the standard Rec709 Calibration.

I have had mixed results with generating monitor luts through Displaycal/Resolve. Just be weary.

Pretty much what Andy says; if you're only delivering Rec709 at the moment then calibrate for that (unless you have lots of time to kill)

If you're doing a variety of deliverables and can save presets into your monitor then calibrate accordingly but only work in the relevant preset to what you're being asked to deliver.

Its an oldie but a goodie when i say its always good to check that your monitor is in the right settings before you start grading, many a good colourist (inc myself) has learnt that the hard way! LOL