Diego Orkiz

Where to look for work as a young colorist?

I've been coloring low budget/ student films since I graduated about 4 years ago. I've now been coloring more commercial stuff for online at a small media company for the past couple of years. I want to keep moving up in the color world but I'm not sure where to apply or how to find work. I've noticed that a lot of places I want to apply at require a knowledge of UHD and HDR work which I have not learned yet since I haven't worked with that workflow yet (also I haven't met a person to teach me). Also a lot of places seem like they require knowledge of baselight and avid symphony, both of which I haven't learned either since I've only ever colored in Resolve and cut in Avid and Premiere.

Does anyone suggest that I stay at my current job and try to find some classes for HDR and Baselight or should I apply to places as a junior/assistant colorist and try to keep advancing that way? If I should just apply, where's a good place to find openings other than LinkedIn or Indeed.

I recommend that you read this article from Parker Jarvie from Company 3. You can study the craft, learn to color and develop your taste on any system, and technicalities such as HDR deliveries etc should not be a focus at the level you are right now.

• Like 2