Margus Voll

Interesting comparison of color results on different platforms

On 8/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, Margus Voll said:

I had the same feeling for a long time now but did not have anything to prove my feel about it. This one illustrates it well.

I figured it while testing same shot in different systems.

How different are these results to each other in your own opinion, kindly expantiate.

After hands on demo it actually feels more easy to grade in Baselight. Once you get the UI and do not get scared all the color science bits it seems actually easier to use to get your results faster. I think parts of it comes with frequency separation in cases where you do not need to fiddle with keys and such much. One demo shot was exactly that, a guy on the snow with sunset and it could be adjusted in very few steps without any masking involved. Seems extremely powerful.

2 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

After hands on demo it actually feels more easy to grade in Baselight. Once you get the UI and do not get scared all the color science bits it seems actually easier to use to get your results faster. I think parts of it comes with frequency separation in cases where you do not need to fiddle with keys and such much. One demo shot was exactly that, a guy on the snow with sunset and it could be adjusted in very few steps without any masking involved. Seems extremely powerful.

You're talking about base grade here? I think a important point is that the tone curve is tweaked in Lab, so even if the curve becames quite flat at some areas, it doesn't affect the color. The same curve in RGB would gray out those flat areas.