Andy Minuth

Trailer/Teaser grading

Whats Your opinion on grading trailers and teasers for a feature film? I am aware, that the time schedule for a feature is not in the hand of the colorist, but do You prefer to do it before the main movie, to have an approved look reference? 

What if the trailer is done after the main grading, do You adjust the shot by shot grading in context of the trailer edit? 

I don't like to do the trailer before the main movie, because I prefer to select important shots as a look reference by myself. Additionally I see a problem with the available time to find the right look. During a trailer grading You don't have much time for each scene to find the best look, and then during the feature grading often I discover something better. 

Changing the grading in trailers and teasers on purpose, for example because of different context and edit, is something that I do regularly. Because I think the trailer has a different purpose than the feature, it is a commercial for the movie. So I think the look of a trailer might be a bit less courageous and more appealing to a broad audience. I might change especially very dark shots, because often also the editing in the trailer is much faster and we have to help the audience to get the important things in the images.

I would love to hear your opinions on that?

Andy

• Like 3

It was quite interesting to read @Julien Alary 's thoughts about color match and what he discovered when rewinding "Louder than bombs". Some trailers got some serious color mismatch because the edit was done after the color team on the main movie was sent home, on another project or unavailable for whatever reason.

• Like 3

When working on features, a teaser is usually graded before the main feature and trailer.
I find this a good way to start the creative process looking towards grading the feature film.
Touching the footage for the first time is always great, honouring the look references from the director and DOP, and giving them something they might not have thought about. Basically creating several looks that I feel could be right, just from my gut feeling. Having worked with the director and DOP on other projects always helps too. Knowing what they like / dislike.

A while after the teaser is done I start with main feature. The trailer is usually grading towards the end of the main feature grade, or after. I always ask for time to grade the trailer shots in context with eachother, to make smoother (or harder) transitions between sequences, depending on the project.

As Andy mentioned, a teaser / trailer is the "commercial" for the feature film.
I sometimes push the grade a bit harder for these short form pieces, since each shot has less time to capture the audience.
Shaping the light is also very important, directing the viewer to focus their attention on what is important for the story.

/ Dylan

• Like 5

I read in the Oblivion article that @Mike Sowa looks at the trailer as a mini version of the movie. That's quite an interesting thought. I know colorists who like to hang the master shots on the wall to see how everything match. A more digital friendy way to do this is to create a timeline with the master shots and use a lightbox feature. 

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

I can copy what Andy or Dyland wrote.

Usually I grade trailers and teasers more like commercials, too. So more contrast and especially brighter.
Mostly the customers want the trailer during or at the end of the feature film grading. Sometimes upfront if they are going to film marketes and try to sell the film. Then I push it even more towards a commercial.
If during the grading, then I copy the already finished looks  but it could be, that I totally change the grade.
It also depends on the edit and how they assemble the shots. The looks from the movie sometimes don't work with different edits.
So in some cases the trailer grade comes out  very different from the movie.

A trailer is a commercial for the film, so it needs the character of the film, but at the same time has to stand out and attract. It also depends on how fast the edit is. The faster, the less time for the eyes to adjust and so I am masking more and try to guide the viewer - like a commercial.

cheers

• Like 3
On 10/17/2016 at 11:39 AM, Andreas Brueckl said:

Usually I grade trailers and teasers more like commercials, too. So more contrast and especially brighter.

A small digression, is it a common perception that features should have less contrast?

On 11/11/2016 at 6:53 AM, Tom Evans said:

A small digression, is it a common perception that features should have less contrast?

Mostly I guess.

I always have problems if the reflected light from the screen is so bright that  I can see my seat neighbour in full daylight.

Best statement I heard about that and I am still laughing:
A TVC is like a street hooker that you pass with your car. She has 30sec. to make you hot and show what she has.
But a movie is like a long night of love.

Edited by Andreas Brueckl
  • Like 4
On 1.12.2016 at 7:52 PM, Andreas Brueckl said:

A TVC is like a street hooker that you pass with your car. She has 30sec. to make you hot and show what she has.
But a movie is like a long night of love.

a big LOL!  :-D