Peter

Media Manage RED footage

Does anyone know if it's possible in Premiere to Media Manage RED footage so that you retain the quality of the RED but only have clips with handles? Obviously you could transcode to ProRes but its not the same. I work with Remote clients and sometimes there isn't the time to ship a Hard Drive.

I'm trying to make it so that the client doesn't have to upload full takes to me to color grade. Ideally it would be good to have just the 10 seconds of interview footage used in the edit instead of the full 10-20 min that was shot.

Unfortunately, the 3RD file isn't possible to trim without transcoding to another format. Unless you need access to the RAW data you could edit the EDL to increase the time codes of each clip and transcode to any of the MXF flavors. That's more than good enough in most instances. 

The client can create .r3d trims out of Red Cine X that will accomplish exactly what you need. As for the workflow necessary on their end, I'm not quite sure what would be best, possibly some type of xml / edl out of premiere to red cine x to collect the media to deliver to you.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:58 PM, Alex Winker said:

The client can create .r3d trims out of Red Cine X that will accomplish exactly what you need. As for the workflow necessary on their end, I'm not quite sure what would be best, possibly some type of xml / edl out of premiere to red cine x to collect the media to deliver to you.

I've used this workflow for most of my projects.

You take an EDL or XML into RedCineX, set your export to R3D Trim, set your handle lengths, and the export. It creates trimmed R3D files that you can easily manage and import into your grading app of choice.