Diego Orkiz

Before and Afters in still wanted or needed in Coloring reels?

I'm working on my second Colorist reel but back when I was in school it was required (and common) to show the shots before and after grading. Is that still the case?

I imagine that if you're a big enough colorist with enough great looking work you wouldn't have too. But in my case, since I've only been coloring for a few years with new media content and low budget pieces I assumed I would have to show the before and after shots. I was also thinking of having a mix of both in my reel. Show some before and afters but then have the rest of the shots run normally.

Do you all think that's necessary and I should go with it or just cut before and afters out entirely?

Also, I have a few sample clips from the Arri and Red sites that I've colored in my reel; I've added a credit and source to those clips on the bottom of the frame. Do you think that's a bad idea or fine if it's just a few shots with credits?

Thanks!

It’s not required to show before and afters. It’s sometimes a bit “old fashioned” or amateur. Before afters are really only helpful for getting clients that know absolutely nothing about color grading.

Make multiple reels and use them for each applicable job you’re trying to get.

In regards to credits, do what Arri and RED request with their sample footage. They care more than the viewers about being credited.

This is my two cents hopefully it finds you well.

Professional reels in big companies are a selection of the best work. Check CO3, Mill and MPC for inspiration. You will never get hired by selecting the best looking shot from each film you have colored. It doesn't say anything about your level. 

There are no rules, it is a personal decision. 

I think some before and after slides are useful as long as the before is not log footage.  Going from log to Rec.709 (or any other deliverable) is simply a technical conversion it's not part of the actual grading.