Sergey Macarescu

Need advice for new color suite setup.

Hi. I'm finally ready to build my coloring suite.  I work in Resolve.

The monitoring has to be Sony brand (the investors insist). I'm thinking of BVM-E251

Client display - Sony XBR65A8F?

Graphics cards - dual 1080Ti?

32 gigs of ram

Now the CPU part I'm most confused. I've always used Intel CPUs, but i'm thinking of AMD now. I'm mostly concerned about Redraw decoding. I know that the debayering is processed by the GPU but the decoding itself is on the CPU. So the question is do I need a higher frequency CPU or more cores?

Would love to hear your ideas and advice.

Hello! This might be an old topic but thought someone might find this resource helpful. Puget systems has some great resources for hardware selection when you're concerned about specific software. This link is to all Resolve related posts: Link 1

But this article answers your question quite directly: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1310/

21 hours ago, Anton Meleshkevich said:

As far as I know, RED debayering goes only on CPU. But my knowledge can be outdated.

... by a decade or so :P .

The debayering is done on the GPU - what's on CPU usually is the decoding.
This however is changing. RED released their new SDK around NAB which supports decompression on the GPU as well.

With that, both, decompressing and debayering is done via CUDA on GPU.
All the CPU has to do, is get the data from disk to GPU.
All this however is (obviously) Nvidia only at this point - and also Windows only.

And so far, the only two apps that have implemented this new SDK are Assimilate SCRATCH and SGO Mistika, afaik.
For this setup, two GPUs are recommended (at least for SCRATCH and Redcine-X) - one for RED-decoding/debayering, and one for everything else.
But one GPU (as long as it's a recent RTX Geforce or Quadro) works fine as well - I would not go for the older Pascal generation cards, like a 1080Ti... old tech by now 😉 .

With the new SDK I'm getting 36 fps playback speed on a 6-core i7 with a single RTX2080 (non-Ti) with 8K RED RAW in full res debayer.
CPU load is at about 40% during playback.

Cheers,
Mazze

Edited by Mazze
  • Like 3