Marcelo Cosme

Questions and Rational Workflow

Hello.
I have some questions and would like your help.

1 - Do you frequently use Printer Lights?

2 - Do the classifications via LOG Wheels or PRIMARY Wheels?

3 - Do you use any base structure of nodes? Example: Node 1: NR, Node 2: Primary, Node 3: Saturation, etc ...

4 - Noise Reduction use at what stage of the process? I always use it as the first node, but I already got good results putting NR after the primaries ...

I'm creating a workflow for a series that I start coloring now in June.

At first I think of working in this format:
Node 1: General Printer Lights (I have many scenes pulling into the green)
Node 2: Log Wheel Expo (Blacks + Contrast + Pivot)
Node 3: Log Wheel WB (Correction in Shadows, Mids, Highlights) "if necessary"
Node 4 or more: Start Creative Look ...

I know color correction has no recipe, but I would like to have a rational workflow to work with my assistants and other colorists remotely.

I suggest that you read the case studies on this site as those will enlighten you on the use of printer lights and how common it is.

There are many ways to set up nodes. Balancing and exposure adjustments first followed by looks is the most common. If you prefer to use printer points or primaries is totally up to you. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Abby Bader said:

I suggest that you read the case studies on this site as those will enlighten you on the use of printer lights and how common it is.

There are many ways to set up nodes. Balancing and exposure adjustments first followed by looks is the most common. If you prefer to use printer points or primaries is totally up to you. 

Thank you Abby. I have my workflow, and it works ... But I wonder if there is a common sense among colorists or if each follows their own instinct (laughs) ... Many colorists came from the days of the film, and of course there was a pattern of work. Today with so much tool, so many cams and so many codecs, there are a thousand ways of doing the same thing.